It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suisin Inox Honyaki question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 pm 

The Suisin Inox Honyaki has, just before the blade enters the handle, a "recession" in the blade: the blade gets less high or wide there. It causes a small gap between a part of the blade and the handle. I think there is even a name for this: michu or micho or something like that.

Does anyone know what the use is of this? I have not seen it on any other Japanese knife.

Post subject: Re: Suisin Inox Honyaki question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Machi.

I have no idea why some do and some don't. I, for some reason, remember a reason being noted once....but can't recall what it is.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:29 pm 

As I understand it, the machi is an artifact of traditional handle installation, and may be present on any knife where the height of the emotu (neck) needs to be reduced to fit into the hole drilled in the handle by grinding a narrower tang.. When a handle is burnt on, the tang is pushed in only the length sufficient to install it - to push it further to make it flush may split the handle. The machi is just the "leftover" tang. It is commonly found on yanagibas, usubas and gyutos, as well as other knife styles. That you haven't seen it on other knives just means you haven't seen enough traditional Japanese knives.

Western sensibilities tend to view the machi as a flaw, especially on knives with handles that are glued on, so many makers have taken pains to glue the handle flush.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:31 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:Machi.

I have no idea why some do and some don't

So not every Suisin Inox honyaki has it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:39 pm 

what adam meant was not all knife makers leave a machi. so not all brands do it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, that's what I meant.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:03 pm 

From Mark in another thread.
-Many Japanese companies burn their tangs into the handle and they tend to come apart as they get used. They traditionally used to leave a gap so you could bang them in more as you used them to tighten them up. It's a look that some companies like Masamoto do on all their knives.

post11885.html#p11885

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Rick wrote:As I understand it, the machi is an artifact of traditional handle installation, and may be present on any knife where the height of the emotu (neck) needs to be reduced to fit into the hole drilled in the handle by grinding a narrower tang.. When a handle is burnt on, the tang is pushed in only the length sufficient to install it - to push it further to make it flush may split the handle. The machi is just the "leftover" tang. It is commonly found on yanagibas, usubas and gyutos, as well as other knife styles. That you haven't seen it on other knives just means you haven't seen enough traditional Japanese knives.

Western sensibilities tend to view the machi as a flaw, especially on knives with handles that are glued on, so many makers have taken pains to glue the handle flush.

In addition to what Rick said, they used to just burn them in and they would come lose when water penetrated and broke the carbonized seal that held it in place. By not sticking the handle all the way on, it allowed the users to tap them back on a little further to get the handle to hold. It's more of a "look" now and all the Masamoto yanagis we sell have them this way. Most of the other makers we request them pushed in flush.

I know some sushi line cooks that take their handles off after every shift to make sure they dry and the tangs don't rust out.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Oops, Jeff beat me to it with my own words.... :)

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:56 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:Oops, Jeff beat me to it with my own words.... :)

Well you added more to it to make it even more clear. ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]