It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion for stone line
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:58 pm 

What type of steels do you sharpen?
What's the typical dullness level you reach before sharpening? Do you wait until it feels slightly dull or go until it won't cut?
What's your skill level? With woodworking and sharpening?

You can use any stone to sharpen but sharpening the edge for the task at hand will not only allow your work to be that much better but also allow the tool to work as it should.

Your want for a "hard stone" is not typical of that type of sharpening and from what I have read and my experience natural stones are superior for the finishing of woodworking tools.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:24 pm 

My sharpening is limited to plane blades and chisels. I have both western and japanese tools.

Most of my western tools are vintage Stanley; specifically, the chisels are Everlast. My Japanese tools are bought off of eBay in most cases. They are old restored stuff. I can't really tell what type of steel is involved.

Typical dullness is all over the map, but not all the time. When I buy something "new", it needs a fair amount of restoration work, and I am almost tempted to take it to the grinder - which is why I don't own a grinder, so I use the diamond stones. Regular sharpening isn't too bad, in my estimates, I could start with a 2K grit in most cases.

Skill level for both sharpening and woodworking is somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I have no problem freehand sharpening japanese tools with their wide bevel. Western chisels aren't much of a problem either. Western plane blades are just too narrow and I use a jig (Veritas MK II).

I have a fair amount of natural stones, but the finishing stones are smaller size. So they work well for freehand, but not so much when a jig is involved. I also don't want to find out how rough a jig may turn out to be on naturals.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:36 pm 

Seriously, plus compared to good naturals, the shapton pro series is downright cheap and effective. Naturals are so different from steel to steel and style to style, and good ones are NOT cheap. Shapton Pros are consistent, reliable, and offer a very good polish.

Who the heck wants a nice toothy 4k plane blade??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:58 pm 

To find out more about the Shapton Pro stones, go to my review and the thread here: shapton-pro-sharpening-stones-t313.html

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:39 pm 

Nothing wrong with the shaptons, never said there was.

What's wrong is you could insert any stone brand into this thread and a beginner would never know the difference.

Who said there was a 4k limit? And natural stones expensive? One for stainless and one for carbon steels can easily be had for less than $100 each. That's less than some synthetic stones.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2