It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Strop f/u and atoma questions
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:06 am 

So I'm going to pick up the shapton 1.5 k on special just for the fun of it and I'm going to get some stropping stuff at the same time. I'm getting a piece of horse butt, thinking about nano cloth but not sure what to get for a compound. I finish on a rika 5k stone right now.

What is the difference b/w boron carbide 2 micron emulsion, Cbn 1.5 micron spray, 1 micron poly diamond spray? Which one seems most appropriate after the rika

Also, when using nano cloth if you were to use multiple compounds would you need a different piece for each?

Finally, how is the atoms 140 for thinning? I have some project knives and I find my beston 500 a little slow and can clog when trying to remove a lot of metal

Post subject: Re: Strop f/u and atoma questions
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:58 pm 

Certain compounds are harder than others, they all work, just some work faster. Here's a link to a post that explains it a little better. my-sharpening-compounds-reference-t6133.html

As far as the nano cloth, yes you would need a different piece for different compounds.

As far as which strop to get, I would recommend marks strop kit, it comes with one micron paste you use on the balsa wood, followed by Bare horse leather, I use this progression all the time after the Rika and it works great.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/haamstkit.html

Post subject: Re: Strop f/u and atoma questions
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:52 am 
Forum Moderator

The Rika 5k is closer to 4k so it acts like an aggressive 5k and is in the range of 4 microns, so your next jump can be 2 microns or finer. My preference would be the 1.5 micron CBN. Because the CBN cuts fast and is a high concentration of precisely sized particles and is the equivalent of a 12k stone, it is a good jump. I'd recommend it on the nanocloth. From there you can go to a half micron CBN 32k for a screaming edge - best on Kangaroo for an even higher performance edge than horse. Monocrystalline is a lower performance compound than either CBN or polycrystalline diamond and unless you know the concentration and purity of the product, the likelihood is that it is less precisely defined and more dilute. Since monocrystaline is a lower cost product, if it is not specified as mono or poly, it is pretty much guaranteed to be mono.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]