It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Strop base 3 by 11
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:06 pm 

emaduro wrote:someone confirm or show me my flawed reasoning.

I have a HAP 40 210 mm (I love it, thanks Mark). I don't feel confident enough to sharpen it not that it needs it now. I only use it a few times a week (home cook).

once a week... I plan..
strop it on balsa with Ken's 1 Micron CBN Spray (first)
strop on bare leather. (second)

I could potentially get a year out of the knife without sharpening.

Am I crazy?

El

Not crazy. I'm a home cook and I use a 3 micron on balsa, followed by a 1 micron on balsa to maintain my knives. It seems to keep knives sharp indefinitely. Its been a month or two since last sharpening and even then they didn't need sharpening. Did it to test some new sharpening technique. Knives after a month or so are still razor sharp. I have horse butt leather also but I find it leaves the edge too smooth. 1 micron is about the finest I need to go. Even the 3 micron is already very good. My knives are VG10 and 19C27 so I would imagine your hap40 will easily make it a year. Mark said he used the hap40 sample he had for 9 months and if I recall he didn't sharpen. He was testing to see how long the edge lasted.

Post subject: Re: Strop base 3 by 11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:02 am 

Thanks rayong. I like your thinking. I decided not to buy to buy the strop kit. It's more expensive but I will buy the kit part individually so I can buy 1 micron.

El

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2