It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Straight Razor vs Masakage Koishi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:19 pm 

I have a problem with my straight razor which is made in Germany by brand Razolution and hopefully somebody can guide my with a good advice and explanation.

Basically I have problem keeping the razor sharp even during one shave. Some where half way through it starts biting very hard and painfully. Actually it bites even after I sharpen it. It cuts hair alright, but while doing so it kind of bits which is quite unpleasant and the bite gets worth when the blade dulls.

This is my first straight razor and I have no previous experience to compare it to, only other knives that I have. I sharpen all my knives and the razor using the same tools – I finish them all of on a Shapton 8k stone then strop on balsa with 0.5 micron.

However when I try my knives on my hair, I particular my Masakage Koishi, they shave better and do not cause any discomfort.

This is quite confusing to me! My kitchen knives shave better then a razor specifically designed to do exactly that.

What would your thought be on that matter? Do you reckon I need a new better razor? May be I need to change the edge angle? Or do I just start shaving with my Koishi petty? :)

Thank in advance for any help!

Post subject: Re: Straight Razor vs Masakage Koishi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:45 pm 

I have a Razolution Simba Tec and have no problems with it. Try a hanging strop with linen and leather.
When I first got mine, actually for the first month and a half, I used my home made paddle strop with thin suede leather and got good performance. Last week I bought a hanging strop and the difference is night and day. I am getting much better shaves now.
Is you razor stainless or carbon? Mine is the carbon and holds an edge very good.
After I put it on my 8k Shapton GS, I needed a good bit of stropping with compound. I'm using the #5 buffing compound from Lowes. This is the fine compound for gold and silver. I followed it with 50 passes on linen and 50 passes on leather. After the first time I used the compound and linen I have only used the leather. I have actually only used the stone twice since I purchased the razor and I now believe it was unnecessary. The point I'm trying to make is, maybe the balsa strop is the wrong equipment. I say this because once I got better equipment I have gotten better shaves.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:43 am 

Thanks for the reply.

Mine is carbon steel and I do have a hanging strop, though not of the best quality. I can get it sharp but it would not last even through one shave. And my main concern is actually the biting it has even when sharp. I think that it may be related to the angle it is sharpened at, though i'm not sure...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:29 am 
Forum Moderator

MIKHAIL <> I have nowhere near the SR experience of some around here, but I'll say your progression is your dilemma; finishing on an 8K Shapton. I think you can make it a bit more workable by refining further with 1/4µ compunds, but another finishing stone might be in order.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:35 pm 

If your razor gets dull in the middle of the shave it's most likley a bad heat treatment on it. This is very common on vintage razors where someone have used a dremel or polishing wheel to restore it, and the razor has become to hot from that witch results in destroyed and no longer keen to shave, I always look away and don't buy if i see a blade with lifted pitting or rounded lines. A propper honed and stroped razor with right technique should not have a pulling nor unpleasent feeling after good prep.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:54 pm 

I actually got it to shave better by spending 40 minutes stropping the hell of it – 200 on each side on leather. It actually now shave much better. Strange though that Koishi did not need such intensive stropping and was shaving at the same level right after I finish it on the 8k stone.

Now I have to see how long would it last.

Did anyone tried razors form Mark? Which one would you recommend? How do they compare to european style and make blades?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:57 pm 

dont buy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:00 pm 

Mikhail, I and a few others have posted some thoughts about the Richmond straight razor - so far it's been a bit of challenge to get sharp. You might want to search for that thread, sorry i don't have it handy. I see Magnus has weighed in and so far I can't disagree with his assessment at least of the Richmond - the others I have no experience with.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:08 pm 

I was actually refereing to these:

http://www.ysw-store2.com/straightrazors.html

are we talking about the same blades?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:26 pm 

oh the kamisoris. well i dont have any of those but a few other. its abit more tricky to shave with a kamisori but gets the job done.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next