It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: stop collar adjustment
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:44 pm 

I have a question on the setting up of the stop collar for my edge pro. I watched the Madrookie video and I believe he says to set the collar with whatever stone you are using last, I think he said the finishing stone. On some of the other videos on you tube they just set the collar with the first stone and use that as the setting for the angle. Is there a preference or does it even matter?

Post subject: Re: stop collar adjustment
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:12 pm 

MR uses his last stone so that his angle is precisely where he wants it after his final stone.

I prefer to set it after i am done with my first stone. As the coarser stones tend to be softer so this takes into account some stone wear.

I havent seen any evidence one way or the other. More of a technical preferance. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:22 am 
Forum Moderator

In my case my finishing stone is normally thicker than my starting stone, especially when I start with an Atoma plate to set the bevel.

The Atoma is very thin, so by using a thicker stone to set the collar results in less "tolerance" deviation, ultimately getting closer to the desired finishing angle.

But yeah, both methods work well.

Just my personal preference.

:)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:24 am 

I also have a question about using a stop collar. When I get the collar close and then cinch it down by lowering the pivot rod (pro model if that's relevant) it works great. But if I'm trying to precisely match the existing edge on a blade, the collar always rotates a touch when I tighten it, lifting one side or another, leaving a fair amount of slop. Any suggestions for tightening the stop collar without messing up the setup?

Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:11 am 

you know, i seem to have a similar issue. i have the apex model. when i have decided on the angle and the stone arm is locked in place, i bring up the stop collar and lock it in place (with the last stone sandwiched in between to set the spacing). no matter how much upward pressure i apply on the stop collar, actually like sqeezing it with the stone arm, there is a little slop in the spacing with the last stone still being held in there. i am not so sure the last stone will have the same angle as the first. to get around this, i pick an angle. set the stop collar and lock in place with the last stone as the spacer. then there is a little slop. so then, leaving the stop collar alone, i lower the stone arm, just a smidgeon to take up the slack, and lock it in place with the last stone still in there. no more slop. may not be the angle i initially picked, but pretty darn close and no more slop... has anyone experienced this? suggestions? didn't mean to hijack the thread, but thought it was very relevant.

thanks,
pat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:08 am 

I also seem to have just a tad bit of play after initially setting the stop collar. By the time that I finish my progression however, the bevel is still very even and polished.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]