It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:43 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stones for my new knives
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

I am planning to purchase three items today: the Mac Professional gyuto 240mm, the Mac Professional 3.25” paring, and the Idahone ceramic fine grit in 12”. I expect that these will remain pretty sharp for the time being, but I wanted to get some insight/recommendations for stones. I have a Global 7.5” chef’s knife and a cheap Santoku at home that I would want to practice freehand sharpening on before taking the Mac Knives to the stone; I fully intend to learn how to sharpen myself to maintain the edges on each of the knives. As it is, I’m content with the Global and the other knife being sacrificial lambs on the road to better knife maintenance.

I have read much through the cheftalk forums (BDL in old posts recommended your site), and watched videos that you all have put online on your site as well as Murray Carter videos on youtube. I’ve been thinking about Carter’s recommendation of the King 1000 and 6000 grit (separate) stones, but I’m not sure what is best for the Global and the Macs (if something can accommodate both). I recognize the Macs are presumably harder steel. I also saw that Norton, Beston, and Bester stones were recommended on the forums.

What would you recommend? I’m not purchasing the stones at the present, but I did want to do my do diligence to ask the same before placing my order.

Thanks for all the wonderful resources you have made available. The video for the 240mm gyuto was a clincher for me.

Warm regards,

Jameel

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Stones for my new knives
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

This is the set BDL suggests all the time and it's a good one. Actually, it's the best selling stone set on our site and I'm sure it's partly because he recommends it so often:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knshcoset.html

The set is a complete sharpening set up for a new sharpener. You can get the same stones with less accessories here as well:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Stones for my new knives
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:02 am 
Forum Moderator

JAMEEL <> Do yourself a favor and get the 8pc<--link to start; you'll need the lapping plate.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]