It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:13 pm



Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!





 Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stone Set.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:17 am
Posts: 4239
I was underwhelmed by the Nubatamas I used, seemed to be overpriced hype. I like the Shaptons of both flavors much better. I sold my Nubatamas very shortly after getting them.



_________________
Those who say it can't be done are always passed by those doing it.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stone Set.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:40 pm 

Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:56 pm
Posts: 303
Jeff B wrote:I was underwhelmed by the Nubatamas I used, seemed to be overpriced hype. I like the Shaptons of both flavors much better. I sold my Nubatamas very shortly after getting them.

Good to know! Now talk me out of the aoto's and BBW's and other naturals from around the globe ;)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stone Set.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:12 pm 

Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 12:29 am
Posts: 920
Panko wrote:
Jeff B wrote:I was underwhelmed by the Nubatamas I used, seemed to be overpriced hype. I like the Shaptons of both flavors much better. I sold my Nubatamas very shortly after getting them.

Good to know! Now talk me out of the aoto's and BBW's and other naturals from around the globe ;)


Hard to talk you out of every trying them though I would recommend you know why you are buying them before purchase. A natural stone is not something you use everyday or something that works on every knife. Different steels respond to different stone in vastly different ways and if you do not know how to interpret this it can result in a bad experience.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stone Set.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:44 pm 
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:45 am
Posts: 1421
"Hard to talk you out of every trying them though I would recommend you know why you are buying them before purchase. A natural stone is not something you use everyday or something that works on every knife. Different steels respond to different stone in vastly different ways and if you do not know how to interpret this it can result in a bad experience."

While Jeff's experience is one datapoint, it is certainly not a universally held opinion. It is in fact an opinion I strongly disagree with. Jason's comments regarding stones in general applies to the Nubatama stones as well. Jeff seems to be on a bit of a crusade to rail against the entire Nubatama series having just tried a couple. I've seen other endusers have equally strong opinions against Shaptons, Choceras, Besters, etc. When someone uses terms like overpriced Hype, well I usually suspect that he has an axe to grind so I don't take that sort of opinion too seriously. Panko, I think you should consider this as well.

While there are some Nubatama stones that work for a wide variety of knives, some of the stones can be for more specialized uses. For this reason it is best to review the videos for each of these stones to optimize your choices. If you have any questions regarding selecting stones, feel free to contact me.

Generalizing one user's experience with just a few of the Nubatamas to a condemnation of an entire series of over thirty stones is poor logic.

---
Ken



_________________
My Facebook Page
Ken'sCorner
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stone Set.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:45 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:14 am
Posts: 604
Location: San Ramon Ca.
I'm finding the Nubatama stones are very good once you get used to how they work and how to use them. There is a learning curve. I can't say that about a few of the stones I have. I'm finding the Shapton stones, for me, are more suited to items like plane irons, carving tools, chisels and turning tools etc. Of course thats just me. Its all very subjective and personal preferences are involved. I really think its more of a mindset than anything else. I'm not trying to be negative at all toward any particular stone or manufacturer. They all do what they are supposed to do on way or another.



_________________
Pete in San Ramon
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stone Set.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:56 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:24 am
Posts: 339
ken123 wrote:While there are some Nubatama stones that work for a wide variety of knives, some of the stones can be for more specialized uses. For this reason it is best to review the videos for each of these stones to optimize your choices. If you have any questions regarding selecting stones, feel free to contact me.

Generalizing one user's experience with just a few of the Nubatamas to a condemnation of an entire series of over thirty stones is poor logic.


Ken, the problem is, you are what seems to be a "Nubatama" representative. In that, you are the one providing Mark with stones, and knives, if I am not mistaken.

It is hard to take what you say, for anything other than a commercial.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stone Set.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:38 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:14 am
Posts: 604
Location: San Ramon Ca.
Well this thread is becoming rather narrow minded. Everyone is allowed an opinion on these forums. After many of these boards are, in many cases, in existence only to drive sales. On most boards you pay a fee to become a sponsor therefore exposing your product line or service and attracting customers. I know many business owners personally who's sales are 80% or more forum driven.

What drew me here is the fact that there are no fees of any kind involved and everyone is pretty level headed and open minded. Lets please keep it that way and not throw stones. No matter what line of work one is in the goal is to make money one way or the other. I can't see how anyone could expect a recognized supplier or business owner not to push their product or services.



_________________
Pete in San Ramon
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stone Set.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:47 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:24 am
Posts: 339
pjwoolw wrote:I can't see how anyone could expect a recognized supplier or business owner not to push their product or services.


The problem I see is that Ken does not label himself the supplier of Nubatama products. We frequently hear recommendations for Nubatama from Ken, but it is not clear the relationship between Ken and Nubatama.

This is important information. If i asked "what are the best stones for each of my knives," and a Shapton representative constantly recommended only Shapton stones of different shapes or sizes. Im gonna wonder if he is being objective with the suggestions, or just trying to make a buck.

Im sorry it sounds like im "throwing stones," but If someone is going to constantly recommend one of the most expensive stones on the site. He better let you know if he is the one supplying them to CKtG.

If I am wrong with these thoughts, then I am wrong, but I'm gonna voice my concern.

Mowgs


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stone Set.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:14 am
Posts: 604
Location: San Ramon Ca.
Check this link. You may have missed it.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kenscorner.html



_________________
Pete in San Ramon
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stone Set.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:22 pm 

Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 6:20 am
Posts: 1841
FWIW,

I purchased a Nubatama stone directly from Ken. During my dialogue with him he had very flattering things to say about a number of stone manufacturers, and not so flattering things about a few others. I do not think his favoritism toward the Nubatama lineup is any more unbecoming than any number of other contributors with strong preferences toward one product or another.

There is a grey area between objective advice and promoting one's own business interests but the two are not mutually exclusive.

Jeff clearly does not care for the Nubatama stones he has used. I would be curious which stones he tried and what he did not like about them. Whether the shortcomings of a single offering from a manufacture condemns their other product is a matter of personal choice.

However, it is hard to argue that any manufacturer on this site has as prolific and varied a product offering as Nubatama. Consequently it is both difficult to dismiss them without extensive and expensive testing and it is hard to navigate the product offering without the aid of someone who has done so.

Lastly, the most commonly recommended Nubatama stone, the Ume Speckled 1k is only modestly more expensive than the Shapton analogues and is less expensive than the Chosera 1k.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


suspicion-preferred