It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stone question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Sharpening

I already have the EP, but I have some knives that would probably benefit from sharpening free hand: Shigefusa yanagiba (single bevel), Takeda gyuto (very acute angle) and possibly a Doi deba (single bevel).

For this purpose I have considered Naniwa super stone (without base) 1000, 5000 and 10000 grit together with the Naniwa sink bridge.

- Do you think this would be a good set up for these knives?

- Do you have suggestions for flattening stone(s)?

- Do I need anything else for sharpening?

I don't use knives professionally, just a home cook.

Thanks, T

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Stone question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

I like the sink bridge and I use it all the time when I free hand sharpen. I like the superstones but I think the choseras are better so if you want a naniwa stone I would suggest you try them especially with the 1K. The 5K and 10 superstones are good so you could do chosera 1K, superstone 5K and superstone 10K. That would be a good progression.

For a flattening stone I would suggest you get the DMTXXC Plate or the Atoma 140 plate. They work really well for stone flattening.

Other than that I would suggest you get a strop. We sell an inexpensive balsa strop and you can also buy some boron carbide to put on it and that would make a fine finisher for you knives.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:59 pm 

Do you think that the DMTXXC Plate / the Atoma 140 plate will be a good flattening stone for the 5K and the 10K, or will a finer flattening stone be better? If so, which one?

Thanks,
Tommy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:29 pm 

At the money you will spend on those stones, I'd really consider getting a natural stone.

I do not have a suggestion for which one from CKTG, as I have not tried most of them. But I think that's the way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

TommyG wrote:Do you think that the DMTXXC Plate / the Atoma 140 plate will be a good flattening stone for the 5K and the 10K, or will a finer flattening stone be better? If so, which one?

Thanks,
Tommy

Yes they work fine for flattening. I guess if I had to choose I would get the atoma but they both work well.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:39 am 

Tough question with as many opinions as options. IMO the Naniwa stones mentioned would be a improper choice for the blade styles listed. Also having a 1k as the lowest grit is asking for problems when it comes to setting a bevel.

First thing that comes to mind for me are the Arashiyama stones and a Naniwa Omura 150. Good basic set for traditional style knives and won't break the bank.

Next would be the Nubatama stones, these would be much faster, harder to use, and more would be needed in a set so the price would be higher. The difference is that they would produce a edge sharpness and surface finish only typically found when using natural stones.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:16 am 
Forum Moderator

If he's wanting a personal suggestion for naturals as I agree with eamon I personally would recommend the yagonoshima asagi and the ozuka asagi koppa for the finish. I use that for my straight razors and I have no pull, bumps or scorching red face and most people know if I ain't useing shaptons with the exception of the rika I am useing naturals. Peace to all jmbullman

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]