It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:45 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Stone Lifespan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:48 am 

Waterstones have a finite number of uses in them. With each drop of mud goes one sliver of rock. I've not had the experience to find out, but some of you sharpen multiple knives a day, sometimes using certain specific stones often. Obviously, different stones and grits wear faster than others. How many sharpenings do you get out of your stones, how long do they last you, and for curiosity's sake how many have you retired?

Post subject: Re: Stone Lifespan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:05 pm 

It depends on the stone , some stones are more like granite than a waterstone , and should last an entire lifetime of use. Some stones are quite soft , and will be turned into a half pipe in a single knife. It all depends......

Typically as a rule the coarser stones wear much faster than harder stones. But theres exceptions here too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:24 pm 

All depends on how much they are used and the types of uses. Sharpening large wide bevels wears the stone faster as does softer steels. Harder steels with smaller bevels wear the stone less. Lots of variables.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:45 pm 

+1 to the above posts.

Other variables to note are your flattening habits and also sharpening pressure.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:32 pm 

I realize you're reticent to slap a blanket label on it, but I'm asking about personal experience, possibly with specific stones, to get a general idea. Obviously results are going to be different depending on knives and stones and technique, but your use isn't going to be so diverse as to be a roll of the dice every time with every stone.

No one is testifying in court, I'm just curious how long your stones sometimes last.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:01 pm 

Lepus wrote:I realize you're reticent to slap a blanket label on it, but I'm asking about personal experience, possibly with specific stones, to get a general idea. Obviously results are going to be different depending on knives and stones and technique, but your use isn't going to be so diverse as to be a roll of the dice every time with every stone.

No one is testifying in court, I'm just curious how long your stones sometimes last.

My oldest stone is a six year old Shapton Pro 5k. I'll let you know when I wear it out, okay?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:52 pm 

Lepus wrote:I realize you're reticent to slap a blanket label on it, but I'm asking about personal experience, possibly with specific stones, to get a general idea. Obviously results are going to be different depending on knives and stones and technique, but your use isn't going to be so diverse as to be a roll of the dice every time with every stone.

It just can't be labeled like your asking. It's a question with unlimited answers for the reasons I described. But you asked so here's what I have.

Arashiyama 1k &6k, wore both out in just over a year.
1k Nubatama gold, 4 months.
Ume 1k XXHard, half gone in 6 months.
Nubatama bamboo 180, 8 months.
DMT XXC, works but needs replacement after 5 years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:58 am 
Forum Moderator

LEPUS <> For context, JASONB sharpens knives for a living. His stones get used.

I'm a Chef that sharpens regularly maintaining his own knives, and I help out friends with their knives way more than I should. I've too many stones to mention, but some notables:

I have consumed an 1/8 of my Bester 1200 in 2.5 years.
I have consumed an 1/8 of my Nubatama 1200 in 1.5 years.
I have consumed 1/2 of my Suehiro Rika 5k in 2.5 years.
I have consumed an 1/8 of my Kityama 8k in 2 years.
Scarce wear on my Yaginoshima Jnat in a little over a year.
I have consumed 1/4 of my King 3k in 4 years.
I have consumed an 1/8 of my King 6k in 4 years.
I have consumed an 1/8 of my Latte 400 in 4 months.
I have noticed a difference in my Atoma 140 over 2 years.

Now with all of that said, I have even more stones that I rotate through so I can't imagine what usable information you can extrapolate from my or JASONB's wear rates. Nonetheless, there you are...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:28 am 

As I have at various points sharpened with oil stones, had my knives sharpened, or used professionally sharpened house knives, but never used waterstones, I though I might just ask so I could have perspective on my own usage. The information you gave me is actually helpful because you could have told me you'd used a single stone to sharpen forty knives every day over the course of ten years with 5cm wear, or that you had worn through two stones on one knife, and though I would know that's ridiculous, I would lack sufficient background experience to argue.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

My oldest, regularly used (i.e. every sharpening nearly) stone is my Naniwa 10k Superstone and it's going on 6 years old I reckon. I've worn through well over half of it, but it's still got a couple of years of my home use left.

Any other stone's are replaced so often I've never retired any.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next