It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stone/grit recommendations for Kohetsu AS 270?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:57 am 

I just purchased my first gyuto (Kohetsu AS 270) and am new to sharpening. I work in a professional setting and this knife will replace my current Henckel that I have owned for about two years and just doesn't cut it for me. (no pun intended, ha!) I have watched numerous videos on whetstone sharpening and know the basics but I am not so sure about what might work best for the knife I bought or if anyone has recommendations for good all around stones. What I am most curious about though is that most of the videos I watch on the site mention "out of the box sharpness." I hear a lot of knife owners making their blade sharper than out of the box and that is my goal. So to make an already long story short, what stones and grits should I be looking at to get the best possible edge (assuming I learn to sharpen well)? Thanks for the help!

-Mike

Post subject: Re: Stone/grit recommendations for Kohetsu AS 270?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:19 am 

Mike,

Any of the sets on the site will handle the Kohestu, no problem (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shstse.html). You could beat OOTB sharpness with any of these with practice.

Just starting out I would go with a two stone setup, a 1-2k stone and a 4-6k stone. Anything coarser than 1k is used mostly for grinding out damage to the edge and can be bought later when/if needed. Assuming you don't damage the blade, you can maintain the edge starting with the 1k easily. Anything above the ~5k range is not necessary in kitchen cutlery, but it is fun. The Kohetsu seems to have an edge in this range. The 1-6k jump is not too much of a jump either, a middle stone can reduce the total number of strokes to get a given level of refinement, but I find changing stones and getting out of rhythm is more time consuming than the few extra strokes it takes.

I started sharpening about 2 years ago and I was able to get my edges to near factory sharpness within a few sharpening sessions. The carbon steels sharpen quicker and easier and to a higher degree of refinement than the stainless steels, so the AS core in the Kohetsu should respond very well. That being said I might practice on your Henckel a bit first. The OOTB sharpness on the Kohetsu is a high bar.

As far as specific stone recommendations, that seems largely to be preference (I mostly have experience with a single brand) and you might read a bit, make a call, and jump in. Besides the stones the jewelers loop is educational, but not necessary. A sharpie is really helpful, but it does not have to be a specific type just anything to mark the bevel so you can see where you are hitting. On carbon knives I use the patina to find my edge. Strops and steels can be nice to extend the life of the edge, but to start with I would use newsprint on a counter to strop...its free.

-Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am 

Thanks Ryan! This helps a lot. Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

cedarhouse wrote:"...use newsprint on a counter to strop..."

Two pennies more: I find wrapping it on my wet stone works best.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]