Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:02 am
Hi all, brand new sharpener here. Just finished sharpening my first knife. Had some problems but with help from this forum I think I was able to do an ok job for first attempt. Used a 1.2k bester and 5 k rika. Had some problems with the tip but that's for another time. My question is about cleaning and caring for the stones. I also have the inexpensive diamond flattening plate from cktg. My time is very limited so I'm lucky if I get to practice every week or 2
1. Do the stones need to be washed? Cleaned? How often? What about the diamond plate
2. I keep the bester in water so it's ready to go when I have a few minutes. Anything I should know
3, I use the marker trick and a lot of black gets on the stone. Does this make a difference?
4. Anything else I should know about caring for the stones
Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:53 pm
1. I typically flatten the stones after each use. This cleans the surface impacted swarf off. Rinse the plate off after you're done.
2. Nope, I do as well.
3. Nope, again, flatten the stones after use and you'll remove that marking.
4. Don't dry in direct sunlight. Flatten after each use. Chamfer the edges every so often. All I can think of.
Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:32 pm
Keep them in a place where they won't get the oils and grease from cooking settling on them, or at least cover them if they are out anywhere near the kitchen.
Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:51 pm
I rinse my stones after I use them and lay them out on a towel to dry overnight and put them back in my toy box the next day. I lap the stones as needed.
Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:10 am
Excellent. Thanks guys
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.