It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:26 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Stone between 1k and 5k
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:08 pm 

Hello- Looking for some advice on choosing a stone.... I currently use the Shapton Pro 1k/5k progression for most basic sharpening/maintenance. I rarely need to use my lower grit stone unless I'm resetting a bevel, but generally I go pretty easy on my knives. I also use a 1k Red Brick occasionally when I want something that makes a little more mud or I'm looking for a different tooth to the edge.

I am currently looking for something between the 1k and 5k that will give me a toothy finished edge. Some steels seem to get too polished on the 5k Shapton. Super sharp but lacking that bite for pepper and tomato skins, etc. Sometimes I'll rub the mud from my red brick onto paperboard or cereal box board and strop on that to add some tooth to a more polished 5k edge. This works pretty good, but I feel like the right 3k or 4k stone might be more ideal.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Stone between 1k and 5k
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:19 pm 

I love the edge off my 3k Chocera for slicing. Very sharp with a little tooth. It's an expensive stone though with the latest price increase.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you aren't sharpening anything over 63 Rockwell then I would recommend the Green Brick of Joy. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrb ... 6yPKPldV8E

Works great on those pain in the butt stainless steels as a finisher, leaves a semi-polished edge, has more tooth than a 5k, and it's huge, you'll never wear this thing out, it's a lifer. Currently out of stock but I'm sure Mark has more on order.

Only con to it is that it can load a little bit (actually helps increase polish) and it's pretty soft so it can gouge (not really a problem). Minimal soaking is needed and despite it being a soft stone it is fairly fast still.

And as Jeff stated, Chosera 3k is absolutely awesome if you have the extra cash. :)

There are many other great options in this range and I hope some others chime in as well.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:48 pm 

Not trying to be a Shapton pimp, but the 2K Pro is my favorite stone and fits your progression.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

You know, I forgot the Pro series had a 2k, and I love my Glass 2k. I think Rick is right, a 2k pro would fit better in your lineup.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shpro20.html#.U6yZ3fldV8E

2k seems to be the "magic bullet" grit for a lot of stainless knives IMO.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:14 pm 

Hey guys-

Thanks for the quick replies!

@ JeffB: The Chosera 3k was my clear first pick, but the $$$ is a bit out of my budget for now.
@Knife Fanatic: I hadn't thought of the Green Brick since it is a 2k-ish, but your description makes it an appealing option.
@TDS: Is the 2k Shapton significantly different from the 1k... in the sense that it can be a finish stone for some knives?

Does anyone have experience with the Naniwa 3k or the Imanishi 4k? Out of stock, but I'm not in a rush for this one...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:15 pm 

@KF- Yeah, stainless (ugh). So I'll give the Shapton 2k a solid look then with two trusted endorsements!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:20 pm 

Are the chosera 3k the thinner ones too?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:48 pm 

Nbles --> The Chocera 3k I recently got was the thicker one. I believe Mark still has the larger ones in stock but you can confirm with him what he has before you order if your interested.

btm --> Which Naniwa are you referring to? I agree about the price of the Chocera 3k. I got lucky and picked one up before the price increase and it was pretty expensive even then. I have the Shapton Pro 2k and the Green Brick. The Pro is the better all around 2k, one of the best on the market. The Green Brick is at it's best with soft stainless.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:06 pm 

Sorry, the Naniwa Super Stone 3k: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/superstone2.html#.U6ymwyhOE20

Not much stone there, but I don't think I'd use it very hard.....

Sounds like the Shapton 2k might be the way to go though. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next