It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stone between 1k and 5k
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:15 am 
Forum Moderator

I'd like to take back what I said about the green brick and hardness. I just sharpened the HAP40 prototype knife have with it, jumped from the latte 400 straight to the green brick. It did take a bit longer than normal, but I did get the edge just fine, then jumped right to the snow white for a scary edge. So, while not ideal for extra high hardness knives it will still work.

BUT, for your setup the 2k pro is the way to go. Shaptons are some of the best stones on the market, period.

About the superstone: Superstones are known for giving you an extra high level of polish but are extra soft as well. Probably the softest stones on the site, but the yellow 8k super stone will give you shine like nobody's bidniss. :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:27 am 

Have you considered the Chosera 2k?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:09 am 

I am just one data point, and I do not have the sharpening experience some of these guys have, but besides my King Ice Bears, the Naniwa SuperStone is my least favorite stone. It is very soft and I have found it a bit temperamental about how much mud and water it wants to work. It does leave a nice polish though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:21 am 

Thanks so much for all the great feedback. I'm glad I asked about the Naniwa... definitely NOT what I'm after. It sounds to me like the Green Brick is a great all around stone to have in the arsenal, but given my current set up and the overall great reviews for the Shapton Pro 2k I think I'll go that route. Chosera would be nice, but given the price I'm goin' Shapton. I do love the three Shapton stones I already have... and since I'm familiar with their feedback, hardness, etc. it should be a nice option to finish those knives that need a bump up from the 1k or bump down from the 5k.

THANKS!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:41 am 

Good choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:41 am 

btm,

you said the pro 5k leaves some steels with too much of a polish. have you tried this yet? instead of giving your knife an edge with the pro 5k, give your knife an edge with the pro 1k, then lightly strop a few times on the pro 5k. this will give you a 1k edge that is toothy, but those teeth will be lightly polished. it is like the best of both worlds. try it, you might like it.

i have the pro 1.5k (really like it) and sometimes i call it finished and stop there. i will still give it a few stropping strokes on the same 1.5k, but that edge has a lot of tooth to it! sometimes too much tooth, but it will slice through veggies like no one's business. a few light stropping strokes on a 5k, and you have a refined 1.5k edge. in your case, it would be a refined 1k edge. but it has teeth, and is definitely fun to play and experiment with.

i will probably get more of the shapton pros, the 1.5k is the only one i have and am really liking it.

pat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:34 am 

Hi Pat-

Yeah, that is basically what I've been doing. Either using the 5k to strop and smooth out a 1k edge, or using the 1k mud/dust on paperboard to strop and bring down a 5k edge. Each works better with some knives than others. Also working up a little slurry on the 5k with my 1k stone sometimes gets me there.... I guess I was just looking for a stone in the middle that might take some of variables out of the equation when I'm after a little more tooth. Your suggestion is right on point with where I want to be though.

I do think this whole discussion points to the delicate balance in sharpening between the sharp, polished edge and actual cutting performance on food. Steel type, blade geometry and technique all have a huge impact on how a knife should be sharpened for a particular user. Sure there is the SUPER SHARP edge... but there are things like edge retention and performance to consider. Home use, pro use, etc.

Anyway, off topic a little but I just wanted to voice my appreciation for this forum and the input and expertise from members with much more experience in discussing these nuanced differences (and ideas for how to achieve the desired results).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:02 am 

When it comes back in stock, get the green brick. Of all my stones, this one can do the most. It leaves a great toothy yet polished middle bridge finish. People who know more than me on the technical aspects claim it cuts like an 800 and polishes like a 4k while doing everything else in between. Its worth waiting for and priced way below what its worth.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:24 am 
Forum Moderator

If you are going to a 5k edge the 2k is the better choice in general - it's faster. If your final finish is either 2k or 3k, well I like 3k more. The 3k Chocera is probably the hardest of the Chocera stones and does leave a nice edge.

For general sharpening the Nubatama 3k is a bit too exotic / expensive. Great stone, but specialized so not recommended here. Significant overkill if you are just doing stainless.

"looking for something between the 1k and 5k that will give me a toothy finished edge." Especially if you are using carbon steels, the Aoto is perfect for this. OK for stainless too, but best on carbon. It spans the range from ~ 2k to ~ 5k but it has a more toothy edge than most synthetics. If you like a harder stone and a natural toothy edge, the Igarashi and Tajima are worth considering.

The synthetics around 2k include the new Nubatama 2k speckled which is fairly hard - inbetween the Shapton pro 2k and chocera 2k and the 2k Ume black which is fairly soft - softer than the Green brick.

For the price, the Green brick is a good deal and works well with softer stainless steels. None of the stones mentioned are bad choices.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:16 pm 

Thanks Ken-

Ideally the stone would be a handy finishing stone for both carbon and stainless blades. Just something to use as an option when I feel I need a bit more tooth than the 5k is giving me. I make it work with what I have and I am generally able to get the edge I want... it just takes a little more time. This extra stone would be more of a convenience than a necessity. So far the consensus is Shapton Pro 2k or Green Brick from just about everyone. I feel good about those options. Thanks so much for the feedback.
btm

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next