It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Steak plates? Steak plates!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:12 pm 

We all know how non-serrated steak knives dull very quickly on ceramic plates. I think CKtG could do a brisk business offering cool wooden steak plates. Like a mini cutting board with a circumferential groove. Given reasonable prices I would be in for 8. Might have positive synergy with CKtG steak knives. Even offer a Richmond branded non-serrated steak knife, opportunities for combo discounting etc. I'm thinking 110mm HAP40 Damascus with wa handles that match the board.

Any interest out there?

Cheers,

Rick

Post subject: Re: Steak plates? Steak plates!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:59 pm 

Make it end-grain maple and I might bite.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:17 pm 

Prolly have to be edge grain for cost considerations. But we can hope.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:59 pm 

I like the idea, the concept sounds good to me. I would be willing to check A couple out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:59 am 
Site Admin

Ok, I'll come up with something and show you a prototype.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:29 am 

I want a Hap40 Gyuto...to hell with steak knives...

Yes steak knives and plates would be cool, but whats the point? I'd rather see the time invested in finding esoteric blacksmiths to continue to develop affordable knives for Mark and Sue to make a living selling...

But I digress I too am guilty of telling Mr. Richmond what he ought to do...Forgecraft re-issue anyone :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

I think the HAP40s are shipping in the next 4 days. No tracking numbers sent but they're very close. BTW I deducted money from your account so one has your name on it (kidding....hahahah)

Back to steak plates, here is a quick photo search with some offerings. Tell me if there is a design you think we should try and emulate?

https://www.google.com/search?q=wooden+ ... 20&bih=955

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:33 pm 

http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&espv= ... 43&ndsp=24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:39 pm 

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 4165481851
http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&espv= ... =0&ndsp=19
http://www.google.com/imgres?start=379& ... 16&ndsp=18

some of my fav's

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:00 pm 

My tastes run to the utilitarian but with top notch materials and craftsmanship. I believe that the initial goal should be for something that is vanilla enough that a set of boards (hopefully with matching knifes) would make an appropriate wedding gift. I mean I have friends who would love a steak board in the shape of the State of Michigan with a matching kris, but that might not be a best seller.

May I suggest a simple rectangle with or without rounded corners. At least a 12" x 9" plating area. 1" thick. Hopefully a $20 price point. Knife and food friendly wood that Isiah can also make attractive handles or handle accents from. (e.g. Bubinga is hard, expensive, and I'm not sure if there are any nasties in the wood such as resin. But the knife handle can be bubinga and the handle accent made out of the same material as the board, e.g. bubinga/maple.)

The mini carving board example is likely the cheapest to manufacture. Similar to the attached example but, in order to maximize plating area, with a smaller groove to catch liquids.
Steak Board 1.jpg [94.95 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

The actual steak plate attached is great, but the more complex manufacturing might drive you out of the price point. Those shown are around $35 per.
Steak Board 2.jpg [12.55 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

I believe that these would drive a strong demand for matching knives. Maybe a good job for Lamson to make out of available damascus stock, something hard that won't need upkeep, but semi-stainless at the very least. Could be tough, but aim for a $50 price point. We understand if that's not doable. Damascus could demand more.

In this manner, a 4 place plate and knife setting would be under $300. A perfect wedding gift.

There's money to be made here if the manufacturing costs can be contained. Do not underestimate the American appetite for steak knives. Or my appetite for steak.

Cheers,

Rick

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next