It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Starter Deba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you very much Sue. I wanted to get some info about a deba as well, in particular the difficulty of sharpening a traditional single bevel deba. I am somewhat new to the Japanese knife world, and this most recent order will be adding to a 240 mm Sakai yusuke gyuto I purchased from you. I was thinking about getting a deba to round out the trio, but like I said, I want to first understand if sharpening a single bevel deba is above the skill of a very novice knife sharpener. If it is feasible for a novice, then I would be in the 180$ range (give or take 30), and would appreciate any recommendations as to brand and quality. I do not have a particular knife maker in mind, but I would like a Damascus finish with a WA style handle. Any information or opinions would be helpful, thank you again.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Starter Deba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David,

There are a couple good debas in this price range. The tanaka would most likely be my first choice for you:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taka18bl2de.html

Sharpening a deba is not that hard. You basically just sharpen the big wide bevel on the right side until it's flat right to the edge. It takes a little work the first time to get it straight but once that's done I find them easy. Then, just lay it flat on the stone to deburr that back side.

If you want someone to do the first sharpening we have a number of sharpeners in the Sharpeners Corner section of this forum and most of them can do this for you and can give you quotes etc...

After that you should have no problems.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Starter Deba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

I would definitely take up the professional sharpening if you've never done it before. Then, what you get will be easy to maintain as Mark notes. The initial sharpening of any single bevel knife is the most critical one. Once you get past that, it's just maintenance sharpening unless something goes fubar on you....like dropping it or taking a chunk out of the edge.

Can't help much with the Deba recommendation though....don't own one. One of the few knife styles I never really tried many of.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]