We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:23 am
1. Are you right handed? yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) gyuto type
3. What size knife are you looking for? 240 mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Stainless
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? either (I prefer Japanese but can get it customized later)
6. How much did you want to spend? < $400
7. Do you know how to sharpen? yes (no problem)
I'm wondering if there is a stainless knife that approaches the quality of a Takeda Stainless Clad or Takumi Ikeda 240mm Damascus Gyuto. I would be happy with either of these except for the reactivity of the carbon steel. I prefer a knife with a height of at least 48 mm (52 mm would be better) and as light as possible, and with a good taper and grind. I can get one with a western handle and have it customized later if that's what it takes to get a great knife.
If there really isn't a stainless that approaches this kind of quality, then I can probably go with a carbon / stainless clad and learn to love it.
Thanks for your help.
Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:32 am
There are several really great stainless knives in that price range.
Kikuichi Damascus: (never personally seen, but seen enough trusted reviews to at least throw it on the list)http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwadagy24.htmlhttp://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html
Suisin Inox Honyaki:http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suinhowa24.html
Which would depend on what you're after exactly.