It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: >> Spring Break <<
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:22 pm 

Mel --> quit your bitchin and get back to work! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:02 pm 

Luckily we're not a spring break get away

However
We have The Greenbrier Classic soon (40,000 people coming here)
Also... The New Orleans Saints are moving their training camp here this season, so we'll have them all summer to boot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:10 pm 

It would be interesting to take a poll of people on the discussion boards about what brought them to CKTG in the first place. I certainly understand Mark wanting to get rid of the under-preforming sections of his business. It is a fine line between feeding your specialty customer base and luring new fish, to mix a metaphor. Me, I had ordered a knife from Korin last fall, one month shipping. I tend to need my gratification sooner than later, browsed the net looking for the knife (a Misono santoku), came across CKTG with TWO day delivery and have been happily spending too much money here ever since.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:31 am 
Forum Moderator

SNIPES <> No kisses for Chef. I never see anyone as I rarely leave my kitchen.

JEFF <> I don't know why the time stamp says 11:30, but it was 07:30, I was working, and the two sentences took me 90 seconds.

CKTG <> Congratulations on your success!

GOLDBERG <> If you're GM, front MOD, and hostesses do not know to stagger seatings... they have never worked food service and need training or to be fired. In either case it need be completed immediately. And if servers are holding tickets, reprimands are appropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:25 am 

[b]GOLDBERG <> If you're GM, front MOD, and hostesses do not know to stagger seatings... they have never worked food service and need training or to be fired. In either case it need be completed immediately. And if servers are holding tickets, reprimands are appropriate.[/quote]
[/b]

I agree, especially on the servers part. Completely ridiculous to get blown up for an hour and then rinse repeat an hour later.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:04 pm 

Yah I think even the servers hate the reservations because they get less turns and have to hold empty tables when they could fill them with walk ins. To the owners credit we had a staff meeting a few weeks ago he says sales are way up from last year with reservations.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:22 pm 

Lunatic wrote:
chefknivestogo wrote:Yes! We're too damn busy all the time now. It's annoying. We just hired another part timer.

We're also looking into a bigger space. We're busting out of this one.

I'm seriously thinking about making some changes that will make life easier for us. Ditching custom orders. Cutting way back with sayas (they're a total pain in the ass) and ditching small suppliers that can't get us product in a timely manner. Also, we're going to basically gut most of the mainstream stuff and get out of slow selling stuff.

I would say yes in most cases. But this is what might attract customers to your store.

All I can say is, if something ain't broke, don't fix it. You have a good thing going, change it and risk the consequence/reap the rewards

I don't know exactly which products are slow-selling vs. faster-selling, and what percentage each is. But I would say that having a wide inventory is one of the attractions of the business, so I hope you don't cut back too much. I'd hope that custom orders and offering sayas would stay, at least to a significant extent. These seem to be the appropriate realm for a specialty shop that caters to a niche market. And it seems like we knife knuts are pretty fanatical overall--keep feeding us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:15 pm 

Don't cut too deep. I found this site looking for ordinary items. Now i'm hooked.

Your not charging enough for the Saya's if that's how you feel. Maybe offer bare saya (Fit yourself, existing price or a bit less) or fitted saya (charge more)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:51 pm 

nothing worse than the FOH or Hostessess slamming the kitchen with their incompetency

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:50 am 

While we are ranting about the FOH, when did it become ok to seat customers right next to the bathroom when the entire restaurant is wide open. It's like the pretty young little hostess blindly stares at the seating chart without any thought on where they are actually seating people. I had a bad run of this about a year or so ago and it drove me crazy, breakfast, lunch, dinner. It didn't matter.

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next