It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sprays and pastes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:58 am 

So, I'm looking into sprays and paste for my stops. I have a balsa and a bovine strop, both unloaded, that i picked up in a set. I've been sharpening for a while, and in the past I've always used newsprint, my highest grit stone, and/or an old belt to strop with. Lately, I've been using the Arashiyama 1k/6k progression on my knives, so I'd like to compliment that. I'm entirely new to the world of loading strops so any suggestions and insight would be most welcome.

Post subject: Re: Sprays and pastes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:11 am 

I like 1micron CBN on balsa for knives. Chromium oxide on balsa for razors. I personally would leave the leather bare, but you could load that with something as well. I've got some .25 diamond spray that I've tried on leather, didn't like it on razors, never tried it on knives. It could be to refined for most knife uses, then again, since it's diamond maybe it would hold enough teeth to be good. That's why I didn't really like it for the razors.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:10 am 

Well , you have lots of different options.

Do you deal with many abrasian resistant steels?

Yes - Look at CBN or even Poly if moneys not on thepriority list. Say 0.75u and 0.25u CBN , or 1u and 0.25u Poly

No - Ken offers cost effective Boron Carbide and Alumnium Oxide preperations that work well. Say 2u and 0.5u Boron Carbide or 1u and 0.3u AlOx

I hear the coarser stuff works well on balsa and the finer stuff on the leather. I cant comment as i use Roo and Nanocloth personally.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:16 am 

I bought the DMT diaspray from CKTG, It does do a nice job on some balsa followed by a bare leather strop. Gives a nice polish but still has plenty of bite left to the edge.

If I'm sharpening for a customer I will usually polish on these, however for my working edges I just stop at 5k and rarely touch my J-nat unless I want to impress someone at work lol.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:36 am 
Forum Moderator

I strop on bare leather normally (fuzzy side, then smooth side). If I want more polish, I put some buffing compound on the strop, but normally it's just the bare leather. I use softer J Nats that leave more tooth to the edge (Hakka's) or Meara (harder J nat, still toothy), or finish with the Rika 5K then strop on bare leather. I tried some 1micron Boron Carbide on balsa on my knives and it worked well, but they kept sticking into my cutting board way too often :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:03 am 

taz575 wrote:...I tried some 1micron Boron Carbide on balsa on my knives and it worked well, but they kept sticking into my cutting board way too often :)

Been there done that! :geek:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:07 am 
Forum Moderator

I touched up my Tanaka KU Nakiri on the BC before last years Game Dinner; I was cutting potatoes and it stuck into the board. I removed the potatoes, left the knife in the board and walked away. I heard the guys start laughing when they realized that the knife was stuck in the board.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:40 pm 

taz575 wrote:I touched up my Tanaka KU Nakiri on the BC before last years Game Dinner; I was cutting potatoes and it stuck into the board. I removed the potatoes, left the knife in the board and walked away. I heard the guys start laughing when they realized that the knife was stuck in the board.

Wow :lol:

Guess that' an end grain board then?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yup, last time I stropped on the BC, every time I used any of the knives, they kept sticking into the boards. Work prob work better with a knife that is a little thicker behind the edge though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:01 am 

Another thought i had is possibly using say a 3micron dia paste on balsa as a step between my 1k and 6k.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next