It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:24 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum rules

This is the forum to announce your sharpening promotions, write about new products you've tested, and show off your skills.
You can post your prices, link your Facebook and YouTube page, contact information, etc...

You can post 1 sales thread and bump it all you want and add new promotions to it.

To apply for your own subforum, PM any of the mods here on the board, they are free!

Page 5 of 11 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spending time with my friend, 52100 :)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just went for a 3 mile run and tested one out along the way... kind of a dud. Man they just don't make fireworks like they used to. ;)

Yeah, some quartersticks would be nice. If only..... :idea:

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:58 pm 

I love my Kajiwara 120, but methinks there is a Fernandez tall petty in my future as well. Very cool to watch and learn about the process, and then have the prospect of using one of those very blades.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thank you, I was hoping some people would appreciate this. Showing the process benefits everyone in my opinion. It certainly hasn't been easy, but I can't imagine anything else I'd rather be doing. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Just used mine today to break down a chicken. Worked very well. The blade is thin where it counts but still pretty stiff.

A greyish patina started forming so I tacked on some more interesting colors and patterns using mushed up mango for about 20 minutes. I'll see how this holds/develops.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:58 am 

I can't wait until I can start buying knives again! My wife found a gun she wants, maybe a deal can be made! :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:00 am 
Forum Moderator

These should arrive on Wednesday. Got more working already as well. :)

Attachments:
006.jpg
006.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 175 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:42 am 

Sweet looking woods Shaun!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

I wasn't really sure about the handle shape on these, but it fits my hand perfectly. The bird's beak at the end keeps your hand in place nicely and I'm finding it helps the ergonomics on in-hand work. The blade's a little tall for a lot of in-hand work IMO, but for the occasional job it works fine. I can peel a mango, for example, and I still have a better knife in-hand for cubing the flesh, versus trying to do it with a paring knife.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Steve,

I was hoping to bring the height down from the bottom of the handle to the heel a bit to make it more useful for peeling stuff. The one thing that I noticed on most paring knives is that the distance from the heel to handle is very small, and that is what makes them better for peeling. Granted, there is some height to the blade, I was hoping it would do okay for the occasional peeling tasks. There's been so many requests for taller knives it only seemed logical to give it shot.

It seems that most people just reach for a dedicated peeler these days for large peeling jobs, so I felt designing a knife dedicated to peeling would be a waste on my part. I like the thought of 1 knife good at a lot of jobs. Keep in mind a lot of the people in the market are home cooks and not chefs, so not everyone can have a knife dedicated to each task, it seems like a nice little blade that's not too intimidating.

Got more working today, lots of nice pieces of wood. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, for more dedicated in-hand peeling and such, a peeler, paring, or short utility is a better choice. I like your thinking on the blade design. Just look at the love the Kajiwara 120 Damascus is getting the Customer Review forum ;-).

Those woods you're using look awesome - so many flavors :-).

Page 5 of 11 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next