It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Specs
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

We're going methodically through all our sayas an publishing the specs on the opening so people can have a fighting chance when they buy a saya they already own. It's challenging selling these since so many makers don't offer them and that means we have to scramble to fit sayas to the knives we sell but we're committed to offering them. Our customers like them and they sell well.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Specs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:41 pm 

I though about making my own, it does not look to hard, it seems the make 2 halfs and then route out the knife shape and glue them together. hopefully in the next few weeks I can make one and post some photos !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 am 

turbo v6 camaro wrote:I though about making my own, it does not look to hard, it seems the make 2 halfs and then route out the knife shape and glue them together. hopefully in the next few weeks I can make one and post some photos !

If you have the proper tools it's not that bad, however for the $30 I'd just buy one, unless I was making one out of some really nice wood.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:25 am 

I make my own. It can be as simple as cutting and routing two pieces of wood, gluing them together and finishing. I can say based on personal experience that designing the better saya has been for me the kind of exercise in overthinking that would make Rube Goldberg and Wile E. Coyote laugh out loud. Half the battle is finding wood worth using. Tricky part is if you want to match the wood to the handle. If you live in the Baltimore/DC area you can go to Freestate Timbers with your knife and the guy there can do a decent job of getting you a match if you know what you will be curing it with. Tools can be an issue. I've made them with everything from a Dremel to chisels and hand saws to a professional routing table and scroll saw. If you have the room and don't mind the expense, it goes a lot faster with professional tools. Even better if you know someone that has such tools and can be bribed to share them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:36 am 

ChefCosta wrote:I make my own. It can be as simple as cutting and routing two pieces of wood, gluing them together and finishing. I can say based on personal experience that designing the better saya has been for me the kind of exercise in overthinking that would make Rube Goldberg and Wile E. Coyote laugh out loud. Half the battle is finding wood worth using. Tricky part is if you want to match the wood to the handle. If you live in the Baltimore/DC area you can go to Freestate Timbers with your knife and the guy there can do a decent job of getting you a match if you know what you will be curing it with. Tools can be an issue. I've made them with everything from a Dremel to chisels and hand saws to a professional routing table and scroll saw. If you have the room and don't mind the expense, it goes a lot faster with professional tools. Even better if you know someone that has such tools and can be bribed to share them.

thanks give me excuse to buy more tools :D

I was goign to practice with maple and then ceder and then move to purple heart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

I did a saya WIP in my forum using a 3 piece sandwich method, a bit easier than routing, esp for thinner blades.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]