It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Some stones are messier than others on EP
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:55 pm 

I got the EP 4 years ago and used the stones that came with it. The water stones absorb the water and I'd wipe off any excess. Then when I stroked the edge there was no water getting all over the knife and EP. Now I have a set of Shapton Glass sones which don't absorb water. When I stroke the edge water gets all over the blade and the EP. My only concern about this is I'd rather not have the water getting into the pivot of folding knives. When it does I just rinse the pivot out, dry it and apply oil. I'm ok with doing this and living with it to get the benefit of the Shapton glass stones. Especially the finer grits. I also wipe the blade off frequently to keep water out of the pivot.

My question is this. Is there a high quality stone for the EP that doesn't allow the knife blade and EP to get so messy? Something like the original water stones that came with the EP that absorb water and not much gets on the knife blade. The higher grit stones is the main reason I like the Shapton glass stones. I'd just as soon use less expensive stones to replace my 500 and 1k grit Shapton glass stones. But for 2k and above I like the Shapton glass and will live with the mess. But if there are other stones that produce the same level of achieving a mirror finish (to the naked eye) and smooth edge WITHOUT THE MESS, that's what I'm asking about. Any help is appreciated.

Jack

Post subject: Re: Some stones are messier than others on EP
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Shapton GS is tops in your request.

PS: If you don't want a mess - send your knives away to a remote sharpener.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:10 pm 

And, living in South Africa, you can't get any more remote than MadRookie. Drumming up some business are ya Rook?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:24 pm 

MadRookie wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Shapton GS is tops in your request.

PS: If you don't want a mess - send your knives away to a remote sharpener.

:)

Thanks Mr. Rook. Actually I'm relieved. If you would have said "brand X stone performs just as good or better than Shapton glass and doesn't make any mess" I'd probably have spend another bunch of money on them. :) I'd prefer less mess but it's a small price to pay for the results. I'll just keep rinsing pivots. :)

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm 

You could try some painters tape on the blade to protect the pivot from particles in the water?

I use painters tape to protect my kitchen knives from getting scratched by steel and stone particles.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:13 pm 

Yep tape the pivot so nothing can get in there. If its a knife I really care about I pack it full of shop towel then tape it up. Also are you misting the stones or wetting them with the factory dropper?

A good , spray bottle that really mists well can really help control the mess.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]