It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Some new Goodies
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:53 pm 

Hi folks,

I picked up two items that I will review later once I get a chance to get a feel for them.

1 - The Scissor Attachment for the EP Pro. This has been on my bucket list for a long time, it is time for me to put it to the test as I get a lot of requests for scissors and also salon shears and yes I know the whole convex/shears issue. I'll put that to the test as well, my sons girlfriend is a hair dresser and she has a good set of shears that I can practise on. I have no doubt that normal scissors will turn out nicely.

2 - The Bob Kramer Sharpening Kit - I got a deal I couldn't refuse on my trip to Vermont while passing by a massive factory outlet complex in New Hampshire. This set as most of you know consists of 1 each of 400, 1k and 5k Chosera stones mounted on glass, with a nifty sink bridge.

More to follow.

Post subject: Re: Some new Goodies
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:00 am 
Forum Moderator

Nice Peter!

Enjoy.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:28 am 

Good deal. One of these days I'll get an EP. I've always thought that sink bridge was a nice unit. Looking forward to your impressions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:09 pm 

Looking forward to the reviews!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:32 am 

Ok, 5 pair of scissors down and one set of stylist shears.

First thought is that I should have purchased the SCA 3 years ago. The system is rock solid and does everything Ben Dale says it does.
Easy to install, it comes with a video, a pamphlet and all the tools required to install it

I followed the directions Ben gives to the letter and all of the scissors turned out very nicely, the bevels looked new. No need to use anything but the EP stock stones, 220, 400 and 600 on normal scissors.
For the shears, it's a little different, this is where the tapes shine. I gave the shears to the owner and asked her to put them to the test and let all the stylists in her salon try them and give me some honest feedback. They felt extremely sharp to me but I just don't know enough about these tools to be able to say with confidence that I improved them.

So far, I am more than impressed with the system, the components are beautifully made and built to last, like the EP Pro. I was quite surprised that the scissors came out so nicely and so quickly, about 10 minutes, maybe a little less. Now I have only done 5 pair of scissors so I may be premature in my review but out of the door, I have nothing negative to say.

I will let you know about the shears.

Easy stuff, the micro adjustment that is available is very effective at finding the sweet spot on the edge. There is a lower pivot that you install and this is the magic of the system, you can fine tune the angle to quickly reach the targeted area and then lock it in. I'm sure there are better systems out there for doing shears but they are just too expensive for me. I got this mainly for scissors and thus far, it excels at that and if I can do a few shears for some ladies and gentlemen here and there, cool.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:06 pm 

where is this place in NH? Or the name of it at least :)

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:15 pm 

HI,
It was in Merrimack NH, the Premium Outlet Stores there, it the Zwiling/Henckels outlet.
It is an hour from Portsmouth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:39 am 

LOL! I lived in Merrimack for 10 years and go to those very outlets about once a month! I've only stopped in the Henckels store once though...looks like i'll have to stop by next time i'm up there! Thank you :)

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:35 am 

That's cool Chris. We will be going there next Aug again.

I didn't find any great deals on knives at that store, but the sharpening set was at a good price because it was the labor day weekend and regardless....it was there in plain sight, I needed it regardless of the price :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:48 pm 

You're right about the prices which is why i've only been in there once :) Merrimack and NH in general is really nice...much better than MA :P

Chris

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]