We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:48 am
Do you still have any Shun Elite’s available? Do you recall the original cost for a 10” chef/gyuto? I saw a discontinued one in a local store and was a bit intrigued. Here are a few questions:
· This is SG2 not VG10, correct
· Which steel is better overall
· How do you compare the line to say Miyabi 600, 7000, and the current lines of Shun
· Is it particularly proned to chipping
· Do you like the geometry
· If I am also in the market for a 240 or 270 “laser” what do you recommend (needs to have good F&F, not low-end budget), handle type does not matter, but should be S/S
Thanks in advance!
Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:50 am
Shun elite was discountinued. They were made with SG-2 which is a harder and more abrasion resistant steel than VG-10. Very good, hard stuff but difficult to sharpen. This line was replaced with the Shun Reserve which also uses SG-2.
They're somewhat similar to the Miyabis.
They are not very chippy.
I don't like all the belly on the blades and I don't like the fat handles on them much but I know some others do like these features on their knives.
Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:58 am
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.