It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 16 of 22 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Show us your knives!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:22 pm 

so how do the gokos compare estayton?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:59 pm 

They are pretty close in profile. Completely different in just about every other respect. The damascus is absolutely in the laser class, perhaps not the thinnest behind the edge but incredibly thin overall for a knife of its length. Decent convexing, glides through just about everything because it is so thin. Still having a bit of trouble getting the edge to the sharpness I am used to, especially compared to the shirogami Goko, but its geometry works to its advantage. The only problem with the blade is a slight overgrind near the heel, but it doesn't seem to reach the center of the blade and so I don't think it will cause a hole in the edge (no issue so far). The shirogami Goko takes an absurd edge, with a pretty nice taper at the very tip of the blade that makes cutting onions a snap. You face a little bit of lift on the horizontal cuts, but not bad. It is a much heavier, beefier knife, and behaves like it. I generally prefer the slightly heavier knife, and the shirogami is nicer to sharpen, but the damascus is kind of addictive to use due to the thinness. I find the damascus to be much more consistent across ingredients in the amount of effort it takes to use, while the white #1 has higher highs and lower lows: it likes certain things (onions, potatoes, peppers) and not others (scallions, celery). They make an interesting pair to be sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:18 am 
Forum Moderator

Love the Wa-wood you put on your Goko W#1... Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:30 am 

nice collection estayton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:20 pm 

After a gyuto, these guys probably see as much work as any other knives of mine in the summer

LamsonSharp clam knife
Dexter Russel oyster knife

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:18 pm 

Couldn't resist. Such a fantastic job on new handles for my Shig and Kato 240s. Tim did an amazing job hitting the aesthetic and shape we were going for. Fantastic work Mr. Johnson!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:00 pm 

Woah. Those are astonishing, particularly as a set.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:53 pm 

Lepus, I'd say thanks, but the compliment is not mine to receive. Tim really did an amazing job given my rather vague demands about "character of the knife, aggressive and raw yet sleek" etc. The aesthetic won't appeal to everyone, but it was exactly what I was going for. It was Tim's idea to do them as a reverse pair and, given the knives character, a really damn good one. And with the dimension and wood selection as it relates to each, he really nailed it. I have not held them yet, but a forum participant paid a visit to the shop for their own knives and was able to handle them. Comment was "in terms of feel, best D-handles I've ever held".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:34 am 

Awesome set Chip! 8-)

Truly jealous :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:23 pm 

My own humble collection. I would like to see it grow and I guess it will, but -as long as I'm a student- it will be at a very slow pace...

From top to bottom:

210 Kohetsu AS gyuto
165 Herder "Windmuehle" mono-carbon nakiri (~59 HRC)
120 Kibihara Blue #1 nakiri (I like to call it a chibi-nakiri)
130 Herder mono-carbon petty
95 Herder carbon bird-peak peeling knife

Assuming that I don't get a severe case of gyuto addiction, what are the next knives on my list? A long&thin carving/sujihiki knife for fish, then a proper bread knife if I don't borrow one from my family's arsenal.

Page 16 of 22 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next