It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: shirogami no 2 sharpening
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:18 am 

Im a chef, using tojiro itk petty, santuko and kiritsuke. Knives came super sharp ootb. I sharpened on the edge pro, but could not come close. Ootb the litrally fell through food items. Now they require some effort. I took them all to 1000 with the edge pro stones and stropped on plain balsa. Any advice? Not sure what im doing wrong

Post subject: Re: shirogami no 2 sharpening
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:58 pm 

Are you sharpening all the way to the edge? Have you used a Magic Marker to paint the edge and a loupe to determine that you are?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:01 pm 

Hi nick, yes raised a burr etc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:08 pm 

Possibilities:

1. Rounding the edge on the balsa strop.

2. Not removing the burr completely.

3. Setting a too obtuse angle in comparison to the OOTB edge angle.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:26 pm 

Mmmm im doing just under 15 degrees. Cant feel a burr once done. But I suppose could be micro scopic. As for the stropping I keep my knife really steady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:33 pm 

Steadiness while stropping is necessary, but you could be stropping at too high an angle, or lifting the spine at the end of the stroke, both of which will round the edge.

Fifteen degrees should be a good edge angle, but you may have made the knife thick behind the edge by removing too much metal as in this illustration by Chad Ward (An Edge in the Kitchen):

The Tojiro ITK series have a wide secondary bevel, so it's pretty easy to thin, if you want to try. Use a bench stone, not the EP. Just put the secondary bevel flat on the stone and apply pressure on the middle of the bevel, not the edge.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Richard, try it without using the balsa strop. For the last stage on the EP, try some very light stropping strokes with your final stone. You can use a wine cork to deburr between stones. White #2 should get just screamin' sharp, especially on a guided system like the EP.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:35 pm 

Yea I use the cork but not between stones. Just after final stage before stropping. Will try those trailing strokes tho. It makes sense. The santuko I really struggle to get a burr at the heel section. I struggled so much at 15 degrees I eventually opted for 18 degree micro bevel. And still hardly anything super sharp. Rest of tge blade is Ok tho. Also after the 220 stone the edge is very course, almost like micro chips. After the 1000 stone you can still see them. Any advice on that? I might sound like im new to the ep but actually been using it for about 4 years. Used to get my miyabi knives crazy crazy sharp. Its the first time im struggling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Can you give us the full stone progression you are using? Are these EP stones or Shapton GS, Pro??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:07 pm 

Sounds like he's using EP stones. Where's my soapbox? :D

I never use cork or felt after the last stone. Seems like that would just damage the edge. I never use it between stones anymore either. Rather, I prefer to creep up on the burr.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next