It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shigefusa Kasumi 270mm Sujihiki First Look
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:06 am 

Holy shit lepus, you were not kidding when saying I needed to add a good suji to my block! Will get to that in a second though. I received the knife today and was immediately struck by how light it is, especially given the weight of the 240 gyuto I have. I'd probably place this suji in the mid 4oz range. I was also incredibly impressed with the blade finish.

The kasumi line is subtle, but noticeable and there is a sort of wavy visual effect against the relatively straight, horizontal treatment.

The handle is the same stock handle that came with the gytuto and is altogether a bit too beefy for the knife. That said, balance is right at a pinch grip. Still, this is a prime candidate for a rehandle. Along those lines, the distance between handle and heal/choil is smaller than the gyuto, and a bit cramping.

The grind on the blade is nearly identical to the gyuto though more subtle and in a shorter/longer package. OOTB edge is similar to the gyuto; Not that sharp.

Back to my first comment: While this is my first real JK suji, I can't expound on its relative merits or lack there of. My past experience with slicers, which did see a lot of use, was limited to a precis 10in and a Global 9in. Given that, I can't expound on the relative virtues of this knife vs. others, but can say my first impressions have been eye opening. I put it to work tonight on yellowfin sashimi duty, and never before have I been able to achieve such uniform cuts through the meat of the fish. Despite its pedestrian edge OOTB, the additional length and refined geometry were immediately apparent in quality and ease of slicing.
The knife does have some flex, and even before my first cut, I thought "I could easily use this as a fillet knife".

Will have more pictures to follow, but the first couple I took were just trying to capture the great kasumi finish which, I don't think they did all that well.

Post subject: Re: Shigefusa Kasumi 270mm Sujihiki First Look
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 am 

Glad you like it. The blade shape is just incredibly useful. I frequently see it suggested and in turn offer the suggestion myself that any task in a kitchen can be done with a chef knife, a paring knife, and a bread knife. But that's for truly skimping. Other knive exist because try can help get better results more easily. Slicers are useful in any form, the thin Victorinox in my black can attest to that, and sujihikis have a shape that allows extreme usability.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:05 am 

Yeah, will continue to use a gyuto for just about everything. That said, I could easily have used the suji for every aspect of the meal tonight. Not to mention, I can tell I could filet a striper cleanly, or chopped smaller produce prodigiously, alongside its intended function. Great addition.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:41 am 

Congrats on the purchase! I've been away from the forum, and this was a pleasant and welcome surprise. I hope you continue to discover its virtues over the coming weeks!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]