It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 6 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shigefusa Kasumi 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:40 pm 

BTW Mel, I want to modify what I wrote earlier about the Kato earlier. The knife performs so beautifully in 210 that it is impossible to regret owning it in that format, but I def will be getting one in 240. Not today, or tomorrow, but maybe as a Birthday or Christmas present. I'm also eyeballing a Mizuno Honyaki in W#2 which looks to have very similar geometry and weight profile...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:26 pm 

It's a very easy fix. Just be glad he has all his fingers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:50 pm 

Seriously...

Guess I should head over tot he Sharpening Q&A for the best way to repair this with an EP.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:35 am 
Forum Moderator

You probably won't be using the EP to repair that. If Tim Johnson is re-handling it (I think you mentioned that), just let him take care of it.

As strategy goes, I'd normally just work on the spine side starting an inch or so back and gradually taper it down into the tip until you hit the end of the edge bevel and get a clean tip again. You try to maintain the same factory shape or taper to the spine into the tip. As long as yours is not KU or has some special finish on the spine, this should work great for yours.

Don't try this with your EP stones. It'll probably groove them badly. If you have a coarse bench stone your could use one of the sides (edges). The way I do it is to hold the knife upside down and work the spine at the tip area and back an inch or so in your case. Go a little at time and raise/lower the handle to create a smooth arc into the tip. Again you want to mimic the stock spine arc so it looks natural. You won't need to lose a lot of metal, so you could work the spine on a diamond plate if you have one. Just don't grind on it too hard. Once you get the spine ground, then hit it with different grits of sandpaper until you get the finish you want. Be careful not to over sand at the tip and lose that nice point where the spine meets a good edge bevel.

In lieu of the above you could try coarse sandpaper on a hard, flat surface as well for the metal removal. If you do it right, it'll look like nothing ever happened to the knife. If you don't feel like jacking with all that, send it to Tim and let him work his magic :-).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:52 am 
Forum Moderator

I just re-evaluated your photo. I think you probably only need to work the last inch of the spine, if that. You'll get to the new tip pretty quickly. That's a very small missing chunk off the tip.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:24 am 

Thanks Steve, just saw this. It appears I don't really have the necessary abrasives for the first method you recommended, though sandpaper is easy enough to come by. I'm a bit leery of using the Shig as my first attempt at tip repair, so may just leave this one to Tim.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:51 pm 

Order that 400/1000 diamond plate. I've used it for far more serious tip repair with great success. It's very easy to do, and the plate is also good for flattening stones. You can finish it out with like a 2k stone. Not sure how that is done with an edge pro.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:58 pm 

dinoadventures wrote:Order that 400/1000 diamond plate. I've used it for far more serious tip repair with great success. It's very easy to do, and the plate is also good for flattening stones. You can finish it out with like a 2k stone. Not sure how that is done with an edge pro.

Definitely will do as I doubt, this will be the last chipped tip I ever see in my life.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:24 pm 

Well, I can see why Mel likes to wait for quite a while before writing a review on a new knife. Still discovering much about the Shig, the refinement of the edge it wants to take, best performing edge angle, technique it wants me to use etc. Not saying my initial impressions were incorrect, but that they are not in context of the broader picture with this blade. Will put something more comprehensive together in a few weeks on this guy. Same thing for the Kato. I will say this, if you want two incredible, top performing knives with completely different personalities that you will use for completely different reasons, you could do a lot worse than these two.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:40 am 

As my thoughts on the Shig and Kato are coalescing, I've come to a couple of conclusions that may be germane to the prospective buyer of either. It's difficult to find descriptions of either knife without ego attached as they are both very expensive knives with limited availability, so when someone buys one, it will always be the bee's knees in their opinion. Either way, if you are thinking about owning one now, or in the future, it's nice to know some of the less ephemeral aspects of the knives. Albeit I own the Kato in 210, and the Shig is the thinner/lighter Kasumi (vs. Kitaeji line), so not a direct comp. That said, I did cave and have a 240 Y. Fujiwara on order. Regardless, in this post, I'll give a quick take on edge profile:
Edge Profile, Shig:

As mentioned earlier, this isn't a what I would consider to be a flat profile. Curvature/angle becomes present after about a thumbs length from the heal. That said, it is incredibly nuanced. I wouldn't even call it a belly so much as a very slight gradient that gradually increases in curvature towards the tip. Here again, that still wouldn't adequately describe it as there is a really nice sweet spot behind the belly towards the tip. In fact, for the novice sharpener that I am, the nuances of this edge give me fits when trying to sharpen with an EP (this knife might be single-handedly responsible for an impending shift to hand sharpening). This edge wants a bit of stroking, or petting (forgive the non-technical descriptors) when you cut. While I have not handled any Kono's, I get the impression that if you enjoy the edge profile on some of the less curvaceous lines, you will love the edge on the Shig.

Edge Profile, Kato:

Now this edge reminds me very much of my recently swapped Masakage Shimo which I loved (and regret swapping). Very long flat section with a slight taper towards a functional belly at the tip. I tend to prefer this to the more dynamic profile of the Shig. Doesn't require as much exploration and refinement of technique, but there are no surprises, intent in cut is achieved easily and effortlessly and requires less motion which, for me, results in greater efficiency. It will rock fine, but nothing like the Shig. If you are a fan of flatter edges, you will like this knife more holding all other variables equal.

Page 5 of 6 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next