It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 6 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shigefusa Kasumi 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:55 am 
Forum Moderator

That's why I've been stalking the 240 Kato & Shigs for two seasons now...

I'm glad to hear you're appreciating them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:15 am 

To say the least. Honestly feel humbled by both knives. So, so different. The Shig is far less forgiving and feels more like a master's tool. I play a good bit of tennis, and it reminds me of very high performance, stiff racquets. Very precise with incredible control, but only perfect form and naturally generated power can bring out the best in it. I'm not there with the Shig but have caught glimpses. Because the knife is what it is, it still crushes anything else I have handled, even with my skills.

So far, the Kato is surreal. It literally slides through softer ingredients. I haven't driven it through more difficult terrain yet so can't give a full report. Where the Shig demands the best from its wielder, the Kato seems to accommodate the user. That makes the knife more accessible, but not necessarily better.

Really need to spend a lot more time with each as they are both incredible knives.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:14 am 

Mel, I've seen what you can do with a knife... It's literally jaw-dropping in terms of uniformity and precision at speed. I really hope you can grab a Kato/Shig sooner rather than later so the forum can get a review from someone who can analyze/handle these blades, and place them within the broader knife strata, far better than I can.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Anything worth having is worth waiting for. I don't buy any knives in the summer, but if CKTG has either one or both next season, I hope to be first on the trigger. A Nubatama may very well come first; I just go with the flow...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:35 am 

I'd like a flow to go with, but my whiskey and ritalin strongly object.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:05 am 

So I took my Shig with me out for the weekend. Performed beautifully but, given the edge rolling that occurred the last time I used my Haruyuki on the absurdly hard bamboo board that is in the rental we are temporarily staying in, I had enough forethought to bring my EP with me. So, in my review of the Haru, I mentioned that I used the knife on the bamboo board and the edge rolled which very much surprised me. After some discussion with other forum members, chalked it up to a wire edge and overworking in the factory. Well, the same thing happened with the Shig after pretty light work. Needless to say, the board in question is never getting used again. Took it back to a 4K edge a little bit drunk and probably somewhat rushed so it's def. not an ideal sharpening job and will have to take to the stones again to iron things out.
All that said, the most annoying part of the weekend happened when I let my brother in-law play with the knife. He's not much of a cook, so this is completely my bad, but caught the tip in the board during a bastardized rock cut and took about 1/4 - 1/6 of a millimeter off the tip.:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Very minor flaw, but as you can imagine, I'm none too pleased about it especially as I only recently started working with the edge pro myself and do not, under any circumstances, want to attempt to repair the tip of this incredible blade myself. Well, I'm lucky enough that the knife is do for some custom work by Tim, so hopefully he can correct the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:51 am 

Sorry to see that. It looks small enough to be an easy fix, but I can't say I would be overly ready to attack it if it were mine. I'm glad it wasn't more serious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:07 am 

Yeah very irksome, but was my bad. Shouldn't have let my brother in-law play with it after a couple of drinks (or even sober for that matter), but was excited to show off the knife and took for granted that while my knife skills and technique may not approach many on this forum, they are definitely better than the middling home cook. The knife deserves more respect than I gave it by letting it be handled the way it was.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:29 am 
Forum Moderator

Simple fix, but I hope it taught you a lesson.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:20 pm 

Yeah, I wouldn't let someone who hasn't had at least minor training handle one of my guns. Even unloaded, you don't want someone dry firing the thing and cracking a pin. Same concept with a nice knife like this and feel remiss for not respecting that.

Page 4 of 6 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next