It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:13 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sharpening the tip?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:03 pm 

Any suggestions for getting or keeping the blade tip "pointy" and sharp?

Over time my tips seem to get rounded a bit and loose that crisp tip.

Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

Post subject: Re: Sharpening the tip?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:16 pm 

Continuing off the stone during the sharpening stroke, lifting he handle too high, or turning the blade too much and over compensating the angle can all cause rounding of the tip.

The answer sounds too simple.... stop at the tip. With practice it will become easy and all your tips will be needle sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:54 pm 

In my experience with sharpening, I found that I wasn't getting to the tip on a lot of knives. Once I started caring about the tip and paying attention to it, I found that I was not using the proper angle at the very, very tip of the blade, causing the last 1/8" - 1/16" to not touch the stone. In these cases, it was because I was not raising the handle high enough to maintain the bevel angle.

Also, importantly, I found that it helped me a lot to push the point of the blade more forward than sideways. This is a natural motion as you go through the belly, to change the angle of approach to be more and more forward. Exaggerating this a little at the tip helped *me* to get much better results.

I discovered the problem and the solutions by first seeing that my tips weren't all that sharp, then using sharpie to observe where I was grinding. When I found I wasn't removing the sharpie at the *very* last bit of the tip, I changed the edge angle, and the approach angle until I got there. I also found it very helpful to look at the tip under a 10x loupe. Grinding, observing, and repeating allowed me to see the tip get re-shaped as I went. It's pretty cool to watch the rounded profile change to pointy. You can look harder, or use higher magnification to then refine "pointy" into extremely pointy.

To echo what Jason said, it's deceptively simple to get it right. Just grind up to the tip, at the correct angle, and stop. Figuring out the correct angle and when to stop was the challenge for me, and sharpie plus loupe made that pretty easy actually. :)

Brian.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

The key is maintaining a constant angle all the way to the tip

The principles in this video also apply to using stones::

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:50 am 

Good stuff Ken!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:49 pm 

Excellent posts!

Back to the stones we go...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:53 pm 

I encounter this problem on knives with very little surface area to apply pressure to at the tip i.e. suji's and knives that have lost a lot of metal thru the years. I find myself dragging my skin under and all of a sudden seeing maroon slurry. Never a good sign.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:22 am 

Jason you need to do a short video demo of sharpening a tip on stones.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:09 am 

This will work 100% of the time in my experience, as Jason B. says above, "The answer sounds too simple.... stop at the tip. With practice it will become easy and all your tips will be needle sharp."

Just don't sharpen the very point of the tip of the knife, it will feel sharp like the tip of a thumb tack, as you remove steel right up to that point, it gets sharp by default. Try it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:43 am 

I'm trying Danvil --> I'll be sharpening again at the end of the week and try to do as you guys say! :geek:

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next