It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:18 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening stone set for a beginner
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:10 pm 

Good day everyone, I recently bought a Goko Damascus 240mm on this site and super excited to receive it (just got shipped saturday) and now I am looking for some recommendations on a sharpening stone set. In my original thread I was recommended the Shapton Pro 2pc set (1k and 5k) http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shpro2pcset1.html

To me this looks like a great set to start off with, my question though is should I be looking for a different set as a beginner? Do I need something of this quality not knowing anything about sharpening? I would say my budget for a set of stones would be $120 because that is the price of that set above but the cheaper (good quality though of course) the better.

Also is the jump from 1k to a 5k stone too high of a jump, do I need something inbetween?

Thanks for the assistance!

Post subject: Re: Sharpening stone set for a beginner
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:31 pm 

Also, in addition to a sharpening stone set, do I need a honing rod?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dave - IMO the 1K to 5K should be fine. People use progressions like this all the time.

I would just use the 5K as your strop to maintain the edge. Don't worry about a honing rod for now.

If you'll be practicing on dull knives (usually this is the case), a coarse stone is a really good idea. You'll put a lot of wear on a 1K stone trying to cut new bevels on really dull knives, especially cheaper stainless steel - it can be surprisingly wear resistant.

That's the Catch-22 with learning to sharpen - you don't normally want to practice on a good, new knife so you end up sharpening your or others' knives that are typically super dull, sometimes with no real edge bevel on them anymore. These knives are more difficult to learn on, since you need to grind away a fair amount of metal to cut a new edge bevel. Newbies (me included) get frustrated sometime trying to do this on a 1K stone. It can just take too long, wearing on your stone and causing fatigue and loss of good technique.

I recommend that, if possible, you practice on knives with a flatter edge profile, like a Santoku or Nakiri. The less belly, or curve to the edge, the easier it is to sharpen IMO. I'll bet someone you know has a Santoku style blade that need to be sharpened. You'll almost certainly return it sharper than before and they'll be happy with the results.

Another, completely different stone set (not splash and go) might be the Nubatama 150/1200 combo stone and a 5K like the Suehiro Rika 5K or the Shapton Pro 5K for similar $$.

Different option: 400 Latte coarse stone with the Imanishi 1K/6K combo stone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:21 pm 

"Do I need something of this quality not knowing anything about sharpening?"

There is a tendency to think that a new user needs a less expensive stone, but that implies that a new user does not want the stones to do their share of the work. My advice is get a higher quality stone right out the gate, then you know that you stones are first rate, you knife is high quality, that leaves only the user as an unknown variable. IMHO, getting better stones eases learning by removing uncertainty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:47 pm 

I think i will just get the shapton set. I have read that ceramic stones (the shapton ones) remain pretty flat... do I need to worry about getting a flattening stone to start off with or just get one after it seems to no longer be flat?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

You can start with 150 grit sand paper on a dead flat surface of some kind. You will probably need to flatten the 1K sooner than you think, depending on how much you use it right away. The 5K shouldn't see nearly as much wear and won't need flattening as often.

It's much easier to flatten more often, when the stone is not dished very much, than to wait and try to flatten a badly dished stone. Trust me on this one ;-).

Flat stones = easier sharpening.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:57 pm 

Get the best ones you can afford. No reason to buy something that you will outgrow in two months.

Shapton Glass are well recommended, but seem to be a love or hate relationship.
A 5k on a new edge seems to eliminate a hone, for me personally. Eventually get one for emergencies.
Grabbing a 1K with the 5K is a good idea for knives to practice on, but a brand new knife rarely needs a reset to perform better; rarely - not never.
Adding in a coarse stone for repair work/ lapping is something that you can determine after a few weeks, all stones will dish out eventually. A flat stone is an easier surface to work with.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:22 pm 

I just bought my first good stone set from CKTG, had been using an inexpensive set of water stones, and should get it tomorrow. I did a lot of research in this forum before I bought. There is a ton of great info to be found once you get the knack of how to search.

I found that Shapton stones were often recommended and used by many and to me it seemed about equal between the Glass and Pro stones. I ended up getting the Shapton Glass 1K & 4K set plus the Glass 400, an Atoma 140x and a Green Brick (I have several Euro knives too). The recommended Pro set was the 320, 1K & 5K set. I picked the Glass stones because of I felt that it would best suit me. I also thought that I just needed to start somewhere and why not with them. The Green Brick will help provide another experience.

The other set of stones that is highly recommended and that I wanted to get is the Latte 400, Bester1200 or Ume 1K, and the Rika 5K. However both the Latte and Rika are out of stock. I may still get this set when the stones become available.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]