It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Sharpening - Standing up vs. Sitting Down
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 am 

I'm curious about how people here tend to / prefer to / think you should... sharpen. Over the last year as I've been teaching myself, I go back and forth between doing it at the dining room table, or on a kitchen counter/corner.

I feel like while I'm learning to sharpen still, I started out sitting at the table but found it was much easier when sitting to round the edges and create wobble than when I stand up and plant my feet on the counter?

I'm 6'2", so the dining room table is kind of too 'low' for me to really stand at and work on. The kitchen counter is a much more appropriate height. Some of the research I've done gives a traditional 'stance' for standing and sharpening, where you angle your body in a certain way much like a martial-arts discipline.

I've seen just about everything known to man when it comes to position, including Bob Kramer sitting at a low tabletop giving a seminar while sharpening nakiris and stuff, to a number of people sharpening at kitchen counter level.

For comfort's sake, I wouldn't mind building a 'riser' for my table, but that would just be extremely lazy...

I feel like a corner in my kitchen is working out best for my height and long arms so far.

Post subject: Re: Sharpening - Standing up vs. Sitting Down
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:19 am 

I sharpen on a kitchen counter with the same stance I use while cutting. Sharpening while sitting at a table would be tough for me because my legs would probably be too close to the point I like to sharpen, close to my waist. If the table had any siding at all I wouldn't be able to get as high up on the stone as I would like.

The only way I can imagine sharpening sitting would be near the ground using a tall bucket with a stone bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:58 am 

I've never been able to sharpen sitting so standing for me. I use a Jawhorse with the miter saw platform. On top of the platform is a 3/8" rubber pad. I use a plastic food tray to hold water with a bridge to put the stone holder on. Stone height is about 43 to 44" high. A good height for me and I'm about 6' 2". Find a consistent working height that you can be comfortable with and stick with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:59 am 

Starting out, I sharpened mostly seated. Standing is most comfortable for me now.

The main thing is you want your stone to be at a certain height that is most comfortable for the way you sharpen. I prefer the sharpening surface of the stone to be 1-2 inches below my elbow’s height, whether I am standing or sitting. As Lepus mentioned, it is important to not have your hip/feet position completely squared with the stone.

Sharpening seated does limit body movement, which can positively or negatively influence the way you sharpen if you don’t adjust your approach. For me, it helped eliminate unnecessary body/feet movements when standing.

There are many ways to add height on the cheap. You can just place a large stone in you stone holder, and place tool liner on top of that. It gives excellent stability, but gives only around 2-3 inches of added height, Those few inches can make all the difference though. Larger clay bricks that are sold at Home Depot for less than $1 each work just as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:50 am 

I typically use my whole body from a standing position and wouldn't know where to start being seated. As I go, I move my hips more than my arms and don't think I can pull off my technique from a chair. That being said, everyone has their own approach and if you can get a better edge or be more comfortable seated, all power to you. Maybe something free and easy like a phone book beneath might give you a few extra inches to work with.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Echoing the last post, I can't even imagine sharpening sitting, but whatever works for you.

My upper body stays pretty fixed holding blade angle while I sway at knees & hips; sitting would be incredibly uncomfortable for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:04 am 
Forum Moderator

I stand. When I am critically sharpening, I pivot from the ankles moving my other joints at a minimum for increased angular consistency. The more joints that are involved, the more cumulative error and inconsistency is produced. I also have one foot leading rather than being square with the stone to increase the stability of my stance. The increase in postural stability keeps you from getting off balance - yes, just like martial arts :)

Some people sit. I tried it and gave up on it. The key is to develop your style and strive for consistency in your technique.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

I sit.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:00 pm 

i sit, and stand. but i don't do as well when i sit.

pat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

I must add that I sit on a very high chair which one might consider close to standing.

:)

Page 1 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next