It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Sharpening - Standing up vs. Sitting Down
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:25 pm 

And when I started sharpening, I actually rubbed the crap out of my fingertips for awhile, and it took me a while to get to the point where I adjusted my sharpening to where my fingers weren't over-lapping the blade. Initially I thought I was doing awesome work, but my fingers were raw at the end of the night...

And.. despite having awesome knives, the worst cut I ever got was sharpening at 2am while a bit tipsy, and got sloppy and over-shot the stone with my knife, and came back and shaved off a neat part of finger-tip on the return-stroke, if that makes sense?

I don't cut myself slicing, but i've screwed up my finger sharpening when i get too comfortable, doing it too fast, too late at night.

Erg.

ok, that's the end of my embarassing stuff for now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:49 pm 

We have all made our mistakes and had raw fingers along the way.
I bobbled a knife while drying it off and wound up with 8 stitches in my finger. I slowed down pay better attention now!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:49 pm 

I did find my edges improved when I got more comfortable sharpening and using the whole body motion, drawing from my old martial arts training to work from the core rather than my hands. I also found that shifting from a section-at-a-time style to a whole-blade-sweep style made a difference. I still do the former if I need to grind a lot of metal or if I am working down near the heel, but once I got used to keeping the edge on the stone while sweeping I started getting better edges on the more curved parts of the blade. I was having a lot of trouble getting the curved tips consistently sharp when doing it one section at a time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:43 pm 

"I also found that shifting from a section-at-a-time style to a whole-blade-sweep style made a difference."

I found this to be true too. When working a section at a time I basically had to have a unique motion for each section of the blade, one for the flat, one for the curve, and one for the tip. Creating a single uniform sweep meant that while the overall motion was more complex, I only had to develop and employ a single fluid motion. My consistency from heel to tip improved and my total sharpening time decreased since I was no longer sharpening a bit at a time then "stitching" the edge together.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:10 pm 

i find that sharpening the flat portion of the edge profile is easier in sections. the section beginning just before the belly to the tip i do in a sweep. the belly used to be the hardest area for me, and now it tends to be the sharpest. maybe i should do the whole edge in one sweep. it sounds like it has improved edges for people here. something for me to work on.

pat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm 

I went to a "sweeping the whole blade" very early in my sharpening career. I found it much easier to hold a consistent angle that way. This video from Jason B helped my with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:27 am 

I prefer sitting probably 80% of the time on occasion I stand. I never noticed a difference in methods or sharpening. Only difference is on my flat feet. Standing is for the birds.

Page 4 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4