It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening set and strops for my new Masakage.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

My name is Mike and I am a professional chef by trade and work at a farm-to-table restaurant in TX. We do feature organic and locally produced protein (grass fed beef, pastured chicken, and fish that is wild caught) but overwhelmingly feature an abundance of cuisine with an emphasis on locally grown vegetables. That being said I do an immense amount of prep work with a knife! I have for the better part of the year been eyeing your site for a really legit knife to use on a daily basis. I am very much considering a Masakage knife- preferably the Koishi, but really admire the Shimo and Yuki series as well. At a toss up between a Nakiri or a Bunka- have used both of these comfortably and proficiently. In lieu of these selections, could you recommend a set up of sharpening stones in terms of brand and combinations of grit as well as specific sink bridge that would work in conjunction with your recommendation? As well would you be able to recommend me a set up for stopping that would work well? Looking for a solid, cohesive system for maintaining and caring for a quality knife. Can't tell you how excited I am to have discovered your sight and how much I appreciate the amount of knowledge and insight I am gleaming from your sight. Super, super anxious to make a purchase in the very near future. These tools will be a tremendous asset to me in my trade. Any advice and suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Looking forward to doing business with you. Thanks again:)

Sincerely,
Mike

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Sharpening set and strops for my new Masakage.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mike,

The shapton pro series is a good one for carbon steel knives. The stones also come in their own plastic holders that double as a sharpening stone holder so if you want to work on your knives at your restaurant they might be a good fit for you. They're also splash and go stones so they're quick and easy to use. This 2 pc stone set is really all you need besides maybe a flattener: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shpro2pcset1.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Sharpening set and strops for my new Masakage.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:27 pm 

I am a fan of the Shapton Pro stones that Mark suggested.
for an inexpensive strop set I suggest the 4pc strop set: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stsetwiunhob.html
It also doubles as a nice stone holder and the diamond plate can be used to flatten stones.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]