It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sharpening question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:08 am 

Hey Folks,

I keep my knives pretty dang sharp since I use them everyday at work. For edge maintenance I use a honing rod at work and have been recently stropping at home once a week. Creates an edge that's sharp and all, but I have discovered I don't like the stropped edge as much because it tends to remove the "bite" that I really like. A co-worker suggested trying out polishing stones instead, so I purchased a 5k and an 8k. My question is: do I need to start my sharpening session with a lower grit stone like a 1k? Is that absolutely necessary even though my knives aren't "dull"?

Post subject: Re: Sharpening question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:46 am 
Forum Moderator

If you don't have a fresh edge on your knife, I'm not sure that any amount of stropping on a 5k is going to do any good. You need to bring back the edge at a lower grit, and make sure to match that angle later one when you are stropping at higher grit or steeling it. I believe that carbon steels tend to come back better than stainless, and stainless tends to benefit more from steeling than stropping. There are a couple of stainlesses that come back well from stropping, but for the most part they suffer from carbide fallout after repeated stropping, so this is why steeling will generally give you better results on stainless.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:54 am 
Forum Moderator

Too many unknowns here. What honing rod? What grit is your stropping compound? How dull is the edge? Repeated stropping tends to make the knife more rounded or convex and you eventually need to thin the edge and resharpen on stones. When? It depends on how precisely you sharpen.

Simply try using a 2k or 3k stone. If you can't get it sharp - generate a small burr, then you need to go coarser. Use a sharpie to make sure you are hitting the edge of the edge.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:06 am 

Try stropping on the highest grit stone that you usually stop at at when sharpening.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 pm 

Hey guy's, thanks for the feedback. So here's some info to clarify a few things:

Knives: Richmond Artifex (AEB-L steel)
Honing Rod: Shun Classic. Seems to work fine, im ok with it when I have to use it but maybe its the culprit? or maybe ii need a better honing rod?
Stropping compound: .25 HA spray on leather. Now that its been mentioned I think I might be stropping to often.
Regarding my angles when sharpening: I think im doing just fine there, I am fairly new to sharpening free hand but I check all my work thoroughly with an angle cube and loupe and everything is pretty consistent. Not perfect, but good for my current skill level.

I hope this info is somewhat helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:26 am 

The Shun Classic rod is a ribbed steel if I remember correctly. You need to ditch it if you intend to hone. I would pick an Idahone fine.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/idahone.html They come in 10 and 12". I prefer the 12" myself, plenty of rod for 10" knives.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 am 

I was considering getting that honing rod based on the reviews. My question now is, what makes the ceramic rod so much better than a steel one? I know in a previous thread shaun mention stainless knives tend to benefit more from "steeling" than stropping. @ Shaun: where you referring to a "steel" or a ceramic "steel"?

Also, I just noticed I forgot to address the "how dull" part of a previous thread here. My knives are still very sharp. They cut through paper/paper towels/tomatoes with no problem really. I just like to keep my knives "surgical sharp" (as I refer to it). Without losing that awesome "bite" I love.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:05 am 

Ceramic rods are much harder than steel rods. they are also smooth as opposed to ribbed. The ribbed steels are too aggressive and focus pressure on an individual spot making it prone to chip the knife. Also, some steel rods might actually be softer than the steel of some jknives, not good..Ill say shaun was referring to a ceramic rod for steeling.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 am 

I bought an idahone with my first Jknife, VG-10, and use it at about days 3 forward after doing a full sharpening. I usually re-sharpen every 2 weeks. It does a great job, and I even feel it makes up for errors in my sharpening (of course I have been honing on a diamond steel for years prior, and have the strokes down to perfection). It also takes only a minute to do before the shift.

I recommend at least giving it a try. Just make sure you take care of it because it will shatter or snap if you are not careful.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Well, you say that you lose bite when stropping. A .25 micron spray is VERY fine, more for razors for shaving than knives for cooking and for having bite to the edge. I have a 1 micron Boron Carbide loaded strop that I use on kitchen knives for a quick touch up and it works really well on carbon blades. If I need to touch up an edge, I will use a J Nat like a Shobu or Takashima. I have an Idahone ceramic, but I rarely use it.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next