It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sharpening my Misono UX10
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:12 pm 

To get it even sharper and as an alternative to steeling get a strop and some 1.5 micron compound or diamond spray. The 1.5 is equivalent to a 10K grit. It should leave a nice polished but toothy edge. You could go down to 1 micron also and that too will leave a polished yet still have some bite.

These days I don't use even the ceramic rod because even a fine ceramic rod is still 1200 grit. If you've sharpened to a 10K grit edge and use a fine ceramic rod, it will still knock off several K grit off the edge. Stropping maintains the fine 10K finish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:13 am 

Not trying to ask silly questions but did you sharpen it single sided?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:22 pm 

If you didn't scratch the hell out of it you did good. A perfect mirror is a bit subjective. You can get a very near mirror like finish with a 5k stone...For the money you can't beat the King Combination Stone it's 800 grit/6000 grit.

I'm recommending it because you mentioned that you are on a tight budget and it's a budget stone combo. It will effectively polish the edge nicely for not much money. You could also use the coarser side to further shape the bevel.

Later you can always upgrade knives and stones. Good luck. Sorry I don't have any extra stones to sell or donate...FYI lots of people don't like King stones...But on a tight budget you will be hard pressed to find something cheaper that works.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:26 pm 

Jason B. wrote:Not trying to ask silly questions but did you sharpen it single sided?

The Misonos come OOTB with a clear asymmetry, 70/30 or so, right face strongly convexed, left one basically flat, convexed for the last 1/8". Well balanced, no steering. I wouldn't change the geometry by off-setting the edge any further.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:01 pm 

Benuser wrote:
Jason B. wrote:Not trying to ask silly questions but did you sharpen it single sided?

The Misonos come OOTB with a clear asymmetry, 70/30 or so, right face strongly convexed, left one basically flat, convexed for the last 1/8". Well balanced, no steering. I wouldn't change the geometry by off-setting the edge any further.

Yes, I know. That's why I asked the question. They are not convex bevels but does have a convex grind on the face side of the blade.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:18 pm 

As far as I've seen they had strongly convexed bevels.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:31 am 

Could have been the batch. Sometimes the new guy gets to sharpen :)

It seems like they use a soft wheel to polish the edge so I can see where it would appear convex. Personally, I feel they are way to polished from the factory and often have rounded edges.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:00 am 

Indeed, the edges are overly convexed or rounded as you've put it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:07 am 

shiny = sharp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:07 am 

Nbles wrote:shiny = sharp

Not really.

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next