It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Sharpening edge pro or free hand?
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:49 am 

A challenge! I consider this an affront to our unwritten (prior to now) motto.

Chef Knives to Go: There's no budget we can't break!

Seriously, though, my sister has the purse bug and you're saving boatloads. Sometimes I'm amazed at how expensive my hobbies are, but I occasionally hear the service staff at work talking about how they blow their money... I'm an absolute miser.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:38 am 

+1
This is an excellent setup.

Beston 500
Bester 1.2K
Suhiro Rika 5K
20X Pocket Magnifier
Rock Hard Deburring Block

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html

Add an Atoma 140 for stone flattening and you're good to go.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:18 am 
Forum Moderator

I really like the Shapton Pro 1.5K stone and I LOVE the Suehiro Rika 5K - it's my favorite stone. It cuts fast, dishes pretty slowly for a bit softer stone, and is just silky smooth to use. These would make a great combo. If you need a more coarse stone for working on dull knives, the Shapton Glass 500 is very pleasurable to use for a lower grit stone.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:36 pm 

+2 on the 5 PC beginner set up (500, 1.2k, 5k). This is what I started with and still use. What I liked about this set up for a beginner is each stone provided good feedback. As I practiced I was really able to look to the stone to give me an idea of what was going on. I'm sure all the other stones are excellent, I just found this set up to be priced right while providing excellent results.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:47 pm 

"I bought my fiancée 3 George, Gina & Lucy purses for Christmas. I wish to get her a good orange wallet for her birthday. Any suggestions under $250? Better reply via PM or we're gonna make some enemies."

Tall Dark and Swarthy--replied via pm! You are right. I can afford a few sharpening stones but I cannot afford CKTG enemies!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:57 pm 

Mano, SteveG and Chrismit29--all my thanks. I did not expect to many votes for the kit some of you are mentioning. Last night I just decided to jump in and start my collection. I did buy the Shapton Glass 1k and, thanks to many of you, the Suehiro Rika 5k. SteveG, I am thrilled to hear it is your favorite stone. Got a loupe (my poor eyes). Next Amex billing cycle I will add a lapping plate.

The big next category will be something for stropping. For years I used a basic honing steel, but from what I am reading here it seems that changing from a steel to a stropping setup for maintenance as well as finishing could be smart. I will take all ideas, with gratitude.

Oh...and cedarhouse wrote..."I suddenly feel a bit better about my vices :mrgreen:" No one told me I needed vices to sharpen effectively. Off to search the threads for better info on vices. No one told me!

Joke!

Page 4 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4