It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:16 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening asymmetrical edges
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:03 pm 

I'm just learning to freehand sharpen after a couple of years on the edgepro, and through all of the videos/advice here its actually going TONS better than expected. I was not expecting to get the results Im getting as quickly as I am by freehanding, so thanks for all the help!

Now for the question! All my knives have been 50/50 (gyutos/petties/nakiri/etc), but I recently bought a tojiro dp honesuki to play around with and the edge is very definitely asymmetrical. What do I need to do differently on knives that are ground asymmetrically or that are ground only on one side?

Post subject: Re: Sharpening asymmetrical edges
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:43 pm 

Here is where I learned everything I know about asymmetrical edges. Very helpful.
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showt ... -REAL-DEAL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jared, not to disappoint, and certainly not to pick on you, but that particular thread is the WORST source of information on the topic. Possibly the single worst thread in all of knife sharpening information available on the net. And that's not an easy title to hold :) It has polluted this whole topic and confused many people, turning a simple topic into a confused mess.

Here's a far more simple explanation for asymmetric edges in general.

Now the honesuki is like a single bevel traditional blade in that it is close to a 100/0 grind, but doesn't have a concave back - just a flat back. And the front is ground like a western style knife rather than a wide single bevel. The flat side is so you can get close to the bone when trimming meat off a bone.

So for the honesuki, you simply put an edge on the front (flat or convex) and for the back you can go from a minimal angle to a microbevel. As per my video, the angle chosen and the degree of asymmetry are two separate variables. The microbevel allows a tougher edge by increasing the included angle. I typically do the back by laying the blade down on the stone and bringing it up slightly to just get the edge rather than the whole surface of the blade. A few light sweeping strokes to abrade the burr off and you are good to go.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:52 am 

Hmm.. well thanks for pointing that out haha. Your video explained it much more simply and it makes more sense. Appreciate your expertise.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:03 am 
Forum Moderator

Jared, THANK YOU! That's very kind of you to reconsider the issue and greatly appreciated. You'd be amazed at how strong and tenaciously held the more confused views on this topic are held by some. When you thin a blade to more acute angles and wish to maintain the original asymmetry, it's fun to ask 'them' how to recompute the angles for this - especially when they don't even measure their angles! The asymmetry is simply a function of the relative sizes of the two bevels - nothing more.

So, especially for the original poster, Twyst, when using the EP, you CAN sharpen an asymmetric edge using the same angle on both sides and NOT have to have two separate angles, one for each side - an impossible and entirely unnecessary exercise in frustration with no value in making your edge correctly.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:26 pm 

"that particular thread is the WORST source of information on the topic. Possibly the single worst thread in all of knife sharpening information available on the net."
In my opinion, I have seen worse, although I would vote that thread as one of the five worst that I have seen. It is convoluted an clearly incorrect, and I actually skimmed it a few years ago. Since it was difficult to follow gibberish, I just ignored it, but I don't believe that it is the worst of all time.

My vote for the Number 1 worst thread which I consider to be the "Emperor's New Clothes" of knife sharpening are threads by the same author, (almost a theses) titled "The Wire Edge". or "Burr Removal 101 revisited" The author appears to have a fear of the "Burr", and chases a mythical, pervasive "wire edge". His definition for the wire edge, and technique to solve the problem is my all time favorite gibberish. I vote his "Wire Edge" threads as the worst knife sharpening posts, and in my opinion, the most humorous. I also consider the author to be the "Who's on First" of instructors of knife sharpening. He actually earns income charging several hundred dollars for a day of knife sharpening lessons, (free lunch included).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Certainly one hell of a contest isn't it? Interesting to have a so called expert who doesn't understand blade asymmetry AND burrs. ROTHLOL

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:58 am 

"Jared, not to disappoint, and certainly not to pick on you, but that particular thread is the WORST source of information on the topic. Possibly the single worst thread in all of knife sharpening information available on the net. And that's not an easy title to hold It has polluted this whole topic and confused many people, turning a simple topic into a confused mess."

It's interesting to run across you guys talking about that article. I ran across it tonight, and it left me scratching my head and feeling confused?? Guy sounds like he's making it up as he goes along; his own rules. ? The chef's and makers that i've seen demonstrating, have always kept things really simple and straightforward.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]