It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpeing strategy for now...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:21 pm 

So I finally made my decision on knives which should arrive soon 1) Suisin Innox gyuto, 2) Richmond Artifex paring, 3) Tojiro ITK bread.

I need to figure out my sharpening routine for now while I plan what I might want for the future. My present set up is a combination 1000/6000 water stone by Steelex which I bought for planes. I also have a four sided diamond block with 200, 300, 400, and 600 grits. I bought the idahone ceramic rod to go with the stones (and the super eraser). I am using the diamond block to flatten the waterstones. I also have plate glass that I can put sandpaper or some other material on (e.g. newspaper for stopping?).

I've watched a bunch of videos and picked up some technique so here's my strategy for now but I am looking for comments.

I am gathering that the Suisin will be sharp out of the box which will give me an idea of what I am looking for. I may need to tune up the paring knife and will probably work on that before I need to tune up the Suisin. I think I saw a post that suggested touching up the Suisin up once a week with the rod and tuning it up with the 6000 stone once a month. I also think I saw a video where a Japanese knife was sharpened with a 1000 and and the "stropped" with a 5000.

Some general guidelines for my present set up would be helpful as well as suggestions for how I might build on this for the future.

Post subject: Re: Sharpeing strategy for now...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Just use your 1K/6K combo stone. That's all you really need. Try stropping on newspaper when your finished with your stone and that should work well for the knives you bought.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:59 pm 

Thanks, Mark.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm 

Agreed, you are set. Of course, there's always room to buy new toys...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:58 pm 

So what would be next?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

My recommendation in order of acquisition:

1,000 grit stone (1,200 Bester is good)
Flattening plate or other flattening means (sandpaper on glass will work but it gets expensive)
4 - 6,000 grit stone (Suehiro Rika)
500 grit stone for repair work and major thinning
8 to 12,000 grit stone (Naniwa 10k Superstone if my favorite)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]