It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shapton vs Norton
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:44 pm 

Hello everyone, I have just joined the forum here. I was referred here by asking a question on another site. I have been looking at purchasing some higher grit hones. The two I have been looking at are Shapton and Norton in 4000 and 8000 grits. Is there anyone who has had both and/or can give an accurate comparison with the pros and cons of each?

Post subject: Re: Shapton vs Norton
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:38 pm 

The shaptons are excellent stones.

What do you have leading up to these.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:23 pm 

I have all four, if you're talking about the Shapton glass stones. The Norton 8000 is a pretty good stone, but gouges very easily. I wouldn't use the Norton 4000 as a doorstop......

I believe you would be much happier with the Shaptons, if you've narrowed your choices to these two brands.

Much better feedback with the Shaptons, IMO. As far as polish/finish goes, the Norton 8000 may get the nod, but it's not worth the small bit of difference.

My $.02.............

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:21 am 

The nortons aren't my favorite to say the least, but neigher are. Both lack good feedback. I still keep a GS1k in my kit for the moment tho.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:58 am 
Forum Moderator

STEPHEN <> I have Shapton Pros in 2k, 5k, 8k, & 15k, not Shapton Glass. I have a Norton 1k/4k combo, as well, but not an 8k.

I concur with Rich, in that, the Shapton stones are premium to the Nortons, at least the 4K that I can speak about. For me, hard steel has an undesirable feeling on the Norton 4k although I don't mind using it with it soft steel. It just doesn't produce as refined an edge as I would expect from a 4k.

Bear in mind, the Shapton Pros are hard stones which dampen feedback, but they are upper echelon performers & I recommend them over the Nortons. The Shapton Glass Stones, of which I have never used, are notably harder stones that extend even less feedback, and really excel in hyper-precise applications like jig systems.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]