It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:11 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Shapton pros vs. glass
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:16 am 

I have GS's and love them. I don't know what people are referring to by feedback. Maybe they want to hear or feel the steel scrape across the stones. I can tell you this, GS's work. If you want performance, they perform.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:29 am 
Forum Moderator

The reference to "feedback" really boils down to connecting with what is happening at the edge apex when moving the stone over it during sharpening.

This feedback "transmits" to the hand and is "felt" by the sharpener.

It is really a vibration of some sorts which tones down as the edge is refined - this is much less pronounced with the GS stones, but if you really concentrate while sharpening, you can still connect with this phenomena.

The harder the stone, the less forgiving it is with resultant less feedback transmission in terms of "finesse" - a harder stone just feels more "harsh" than a softer one.

With certain steels like carbon there will sometimes also be a certain "smell", which IMHO can also be equated to "feedback", as this smell also screams metal removal.

Confused....no problem it will get better as you go along and dabble with many various types of stones/steels....

But I got to agree, I prefer the GS stones as an all rounder. Once you get the hang of them, it's difficult to surpass....

:)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:09 pm 

My SG stones see the most use by far of any water stone I have ever owned and the feedback issue was never really an issue for me at all. I was introduced to the stones at a really cool Japanese store in NYC, not Korin but similar and they carried several brands of water stones including both Shapton Pro and Glass. When I asked the "which is better" question they told me that a 2,000 grit glass stone was 2,000 grit everywhere within the stone, there was no variation, it was precisely 2k at any give point, even when worn down to a sliver of material. Other brands, brands that they sold were not like this.
Now however, I think that was just marketing, I'm just telling you what they told me, I'm not saying I believe it. However I did walk out of the store with a nice set of SG stones and I absolutely love them.

Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3