It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shapton pros vs. glass
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:12 am 
Forum Moderator

DARKSTAR <> What is appropriate? Is that like normal?

A.D.I.D.A.S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:42 pm 

Sex aside, is it necessarily bad to have a 500 glass, a 1k pro then a 4k glass? I have all glass for my edge pro and can't really get a good feel for them. I'm actually having issues with the EP SYstem as a whole and may sell it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:12 pm 

OT This time :)

Feedback in this thread is interesting. I was 100% sure i was going to pick up a few of the glass as my next step up, now i'm wondering if that's the way to go

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:30 pm 

I bought the shapton pro 320-1000-5000 with diamond 140 lapper. I'm really happy with them. Without any experience with other waterstones, I feel they are very forgiving when learning. I have run out of knives to sharpen. I can get my knives sharp enough to push cut phone book paper, not always on the first try, and after going back to the 5000 and strop on leather.

I watched so many videos, then I'll try a knife on the stones. Watch more videos, try another knife.
I found my learning isn't always forward progression. Sometimes 2 steps forward, 1 step back, 3 steps forward 1 step back. I do appreciate everyone on this forum, very kind and helpful, with lots of knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Emalsky - It's not necessarily bad to mix stone series like that. I have or have used the Pro 320, GS 500, GS 1K, Pro 1.5K (full size stones) and I like them all. I like the GS 500 much better than the Pro 320, but that's because the 320 is more coarse and the 500 feels smoother. If you don't need to do a lot of metal removal, the GS 500 works very well. As people have said, the GS series is harder and generates little mud, if any.

If it matters at all, I find full size Shapton GS stones much easier to work with than the EP stones. Water can sit on the bench stone and help minimize loading. The EP stone surface is upside down and so they need to be rinsed or wiped and re-wetted more often. I've started just taking the EP stones out and rinsing them in the sink as needed when I'm sharpening.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:59 am 

Like Steve, I use a blend of stones but the GS 500 is one stone that I absolutely love, I'm on my fourth one. Unlike Melampus I am fine with robots, yes the GS is hard and cold but I just got used to that, it delivers what I need. Besides......I always go from that stone to my Chosera 1k...it's the Scarlett Johannson of water stones, silky smooth, like sharpening on velvet, a great contrast from the "ice stones" but they both excel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

MadRookie wrote:The GS stones cut faster, dish less & works better on harder steels.......

:)

I'm with Rookie. The glass stones are better.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:12 pm 

They are both excellent stones and you have to try one or two of each to know which you prefer. I happen to like them both but give the edge(no pun intended) to the Pro for feedback alone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:34 pm 

I "lol'd" here for the first time today. Whacky stuff.

I am just wondering myself about Shapton stones, thanks for the info...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:20 am 

Just got a Shapton pro 1k today, used it for a few things and was impressed by its feedback considering how hard it is. Cut real fast too and left a nice grind pattern.

It also had no trouble with more wear resistant steels like S90V.

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next