It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shapton or other stone recommendations wanted.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Susan and Mark,

I just left you all a message on your voicemail, and I am truly sorry if I m bothering you.

I had a couple of questions about some stones I was looking into and I would love the experts opinions.

I was going to get the Shapton 1k 5k 8k set with the 320 stone and the universal holder with the 140 grit diamond. Pretty expensive.
Would you recommend getting the universal holder with the 140 grit diamond, the green brick of joy and the Snow White 8k? considerably less expensive.
I plan on trying to make some money doing this and to also feed my obsession to own and sharpen knives.

One other question I had was, to save on shipping and since I live in town, would it be possible to run by your store (I under stand you aren’t retail…) and pick up some stuff with cash on the barrel?

Thank you for your time and consideration. I truly am thankful you guys are around.

-mike

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Shapton or other stone recommendations wanted.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:53 pm 

Higher grit stones are expensive so if you are just getting started, I would wait till you are sure you want/need one before you drop the $. Everything over $60 ships free from CKTG so you won't pay more waiting till later. I don't own a 8k+ stone as 5k is getting close enough to a mirror polish for me and I jump to strops from there.

The shapton pros are my favorite stones so far. I would start with the 320, 1k, and 5k set. I prefer the 1.5k to the 1k pro in a 3 stone lineup as it has better feedback and I like the scratch pattern better, but that's more of a personal preference thing. If you spring for a 4 stone, I would go 320, 1k, 2k, and 5k every time. It's a great progression, imo

I don't own the green brick or snow white so I can't comment there, but they do get some great reviews around here.

The stone holder and 140 plate combo is an excellent addition to any lineup. Strops are invaluable as well so I recommend the holder/plate/strop combo http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stsetwiunhob.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:24 am 

I don't own the Shapton pros but I do have a full set of the glass. I also have the green brick and the Snow White. If you are looking into doing some sharpening for others, the green brick is a very versatile stone. It is the stone of choice for German steel which I'm sure you'll encounter often while sharpening for others. The Snow White is a great stone but in terms of a business decision, a course stone to go with the green brick like the latte 400 would be money better spent. Most sharpening for others can be done with just these two. You could add the Snow White later mostly for yourself. Get the holder and flattner and I would recommend the latte 400 and the green brick. You could add a strop if you'd like for less money than the Snow White. That's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:06 am 

I love the shapton pro 2k I picked up. It's become my most often used stone by far, cuts fast and leaves a great edge for general kitchen work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:29 pm 

I was looking at the same set recently and decided to go with different manufacturers for my first set. The advice given to me was that different grits in the same set of stones could be very different. In other words, you may love the Shapton pro 2k, but not like the 5k or something. Choosing stones from different manufacturers will give you a broad spectrum of what there is out there. I spent a lot of time researching because there are so many options, but in the end, you can't go wrong with most of the choices here. Most people say a 1k is a good starter stone and enough to make your knives sharp.

Personally, I got
Latte 400
nubatama ume 1k speckled
suehiro rica 5k

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]