It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shapton Glass 30K
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:14 pm 

I have the stock Edge Pro stones, Chosera stones, and the Shapton Glass stones 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16K. I have not purchased the 3OK and was trying to understand what the advantage of using this stone versus a strop with a similar grit spray?

I have various Sypderco folding knives with VG10, M390, S90V, S30V and CTS XHP steels.

I do enjoy playing with the various stones in an effort to get a great edge on the blades. For what I am using the sharpener for, the 30K is probably overkill.

I also have the stop collar and angle cube so I hope to get the most out of the high grit stones by having a consistent angle through the range of stones.

Any comments on the Shapton Glass 30K versus using a strop would be appreciated.

Mark, thanks for making all these great products available to the EP community.

Jeff

Post subject: Re: Shapton Glass 30K
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:57 am 
Forum Moderator

Remember that a 30k stone equates to approx 0.5µ.

A stone works much faster as you can use it with a scrubbing effect whereas stropping is sooooo much, much slower.

I use my 30k stone spritzed with 0.25µ diamond spray to finish mirror relief bevels only - it is a hopeless overkill for almost any knife edge IMHO.

....but somehow your stone set feels rather incomplete without it........

:)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

You're very welcome. It was a bit of a financial risk to do these glass stones but judging from the response it looks like they're going to be very popular.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:02 pm 

MR,

Thanks for your advice as I expected you would reply. I did not think to use the diamond spray with the Shapton 30K. I will have to try that and see how it works. I will order the 30K Shapton glass in the near future. Any other stones you recommend since you have the Shapton Glass stones? I seem to remember you were using a natural stone in the 15K to 20K range for finishing? Have you quit using that stone now. I have to order some more of of Atomas as well.

Mark,

I am truly amazed at all the products you have for the EP system. I realize you sell other product lines, but I do not know why anyone would go to any other system other than an EP. The WE seems nice, but not near the range of stones out there for it. I am glad the EP system will grow and be around in the future as I really enjoy this method of sharpening.

Thanks Again,
Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:06 am 
Forum Moderator

bearcat1 wrote:MR,

Thanks for your advice as I expected you would reply. I did not think to use the diamond spray with the Shapton 30K. I will have to try that and see how it works. I will order the 30K Shapton glass in the near future. Any other stones you recommend since you have the Shapton Glass stones? I seem to remember you were using a natural stone in the 15K to 20K range for finishing? Have you quit using that stone now. I have to order some more of of Atomas as well.

Mark,

I am truly amazed at all the products you have for the EP system. I realize you sell other product lines, but I do not know why anyone would go to any other system other than an EP. The WE seems nice, but not near the range of stones out there for it. I am glad the EP system will grow and be around in the future as I really enjoy this method of sharpening.

Thanks Again,
Jeff

Yep, I used to finish with a jnat - Ozuku Asagi, but since I got the glass stones I use nothing else.

Most of my everyday knives I use are M390 and the jnats and other synthetics battle a bit with grinding this steel.

So low down it's Atomas as well, then onto the GS.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:15 pm 

I've been asking this question about finer grits ever since my abilities have started improving. I'm about to start playing with pastes and sprays below 1 micron. First I was getting better (sharper) edges when using very fine stones. Then came stropping, diamond paste and such. Again, sharper edges. Every time I go finer after developing the skill to get results with a new, finer tool I have a timeframe to start getting better results with a new tool (grit level).

So, my impression now is that the 30k stone is just another stone to get my money with. However, in time I can see myself owning one and getting the results it is capable of. I doubt if any of us "need" a stone this fine to get a knife sharp enough to do any job it can't do without it. Some of us want one though. I won't get one now because there are other sharpening tools I will get first. I'm thinking Ken's CBN sprays at the moment.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:48 pm 

Jack,

My only advice to you would be don't wait too long to get the various Shapton Glass stones you want. They might go out of stock and if for some reason Mark doesn't refill the stock then you are out of luck. I have no reason to believe this would happen soon but I have had that experience with other products in other hobbies in the past. What seems expensive now is a bargain when you can't get what you want later.

Jeff

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]