It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sayas vs. bladeguards
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:12 am 

Hi folks,

New to JK knives. Not new to the kitchen. About to pull the trigger on a couple of knives, and I'm just wondering what the advantages of buying a saya are compared to using my existing run-of-the-mill bladeguards? Is it purely aesthetic? Nothing wrong with that of course. My knives are kept safely in a drawer at home with this kind of product: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/meindrknho.html. That said, my knives are often travelling with me in bags for work.

Just curious.

Cheers,

Mark

Post subject: Re: Sayas vs. bladeguards
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:24 am 
Forum Moderator

MARK <> As long as the edges are protected from any blunt trauma, it doesn't matter what the hell protects your edge. When I sharpen knives for people, I always return them in cardboard customs like below; anything to protect the edge. Your drawer insets are great for home, but a guard, any guard, is strongly suggested for transport.

You did not mention what blade guards you are currently using. Card-stock is good, but wears out its tight grip quickly & they're obviously not the strongest of materials; clamping plastic guards are great if you get one that fits well although they can inexplicably snap open with age; the magnets are great, but a bit interesting to get that perfect placement... wooden sayas fit perfectly, are pinned on to not fall, are soft to the blade if there is contact, and they don't open up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:31 am 

Sayas are a bit bulky and more expensive, but have the best protective properties and good durability. I like the magnetic guards a lot because they're thin and protect the knife very well, but in all fairness I managed to ruin one tonight by leaving it on top of a heat lamp for a while. This is the second I have destroyed in a year or so with them. Also, if there's even a hint of water or debris in the guard it will spell trouble for the knife. I am exceptionally careful about it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:41 am 

Hi Melampus,

I use the black plastic clamping style "Edge-Guard" brand. They do get brittle, and I have had several snap over the years. Never used others (magnets, etc). Definitely used card-stock in the moment, which worked fine.

The sayas from CKTG are generally pretty nice?

Thanks,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 am 
Forum Moderator

MARK <> If you're asking about the Konosuke made sayas & the Siglinda made sayas <--link, I have many of them, and they are great. They come perfectly usable, and they work very well. Additionally, they are raw products so if you are handy you can sand them down if you'd like to get them super smooth & refined, you can stain them any color you'd like, you can paint them, you can sand down corners, etc...

I oil mine, and I'm happy how they come. Understand they are handmade so they are not all identical, and they will fit different knives differently (i.e., up/down slop). I strongly suggest ordering them w/o the hole so you can drill your pin to fit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:46 am 

Thanks Melampus. It's for a fugiwara nashiji 150mm petty for now. When the Anryu 240mm comes back in stock I likely get one for that gyuto as well. I believe the Anryu is a siglinda. Not sure for the petty.

Thanks. I'll add them to my order.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:51 am 
Forum Moderator

Sue, the Saya Queen, typically includes whichever fits best. Again, if you can drill a hole, I suggest noting in the comment box that you would NOT prefer a pre-drilled saya. If you drill the placement yourself, there will be much less in/out slack.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:31 pm 

The 240 Anryu is back in stock as of a few minutes ago.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasgy24.html

Or were you talking about the saya for the Anryu?

Got bacon?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:02 pm 

Yep, jumped on the Anryu. 2 orders in 12 hours!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:36 am 

And they're gone again.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next