It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:59 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Saya Making "Guide" part 1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:30 pm 

Okay here is the guide that I promised. It'll be in two posts or parts. Couple things to note:
1) I should have used my camera instead of my phone.
2) I'm not trained in any way in woodwork. I'll try not to use terms like "pointy end" but I won't make any promises! I welcome any hints and tricks as to how to improve my woodworking skills.
3) This is meant as a starting point for others. I hope it gives you some confidence and others try it for yourself. True happiness comes in doing.

So here goes.

The first step is to get some wood. I had visions of splitting dark ebony and rich bubinga and putting them together so as not to see the seam but..

I got a two foot section of 1/4 thick, 4 in wide red oak (bad decision in retrospect as it is too hard for me to work with easily). Took it home and got my tools ready.
I also used a circular saw and a belt sander but they aren't shown.
I cut it in half and then squared up the two so they were the same length. I fit them together this way and that until I found the flatest fit and marked the sides which would go together.
Next was marking one side for the shape of the blade. I marked one side, then moved the knife about 2 mm down to make sure that there is enough room for the knife. I don't know if this is good or not, but I didn't want the fit to be really snug. You can see in the picture the line is a little off the spine.

First I punched the outline using a chisel and then went at it with a straight bit on the router, hollowing out the cavity. For this one I kept it all at the same depth, just clearing the spine. I used a wood knife "Thingy" to clean up the tip. I checked from time to time to make sure I was on the right track, eventually putting the other piece on and checking the knife's fit.
Little light sanding, little wood glue and then clamps. Then a beer. (I mean water for those offended by such). Made by Leinenkugel in honor of Mark.

Man this is more work than the project... I need another "water". Part two coming after the break!

Post subject: Re: Saya Making "Guide" part 1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:06 pm 

Thought that was how you did it and alas I was correct.

Might try this myself soon enough, my goko is so thin at the spine you can't use the plastic guards as they just slip off.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:15 am 

Part 2 -
So I missed a picture or two. After it's all dried I traced the knife again, but again made it a couple mm wider on the top and bottom. Then I rough cut the shape with a circular saw. My neighbor makes cabinets in his back yard so I used his "sander thingy (edge maybe?)" to make the final edges square.
Round the corners with a router. I used this bit.
I also wasn't paying attention and made a little divot with the router. I'm calling it "custom uniqueness".
A lot of sanding from 60 to 400 grit and I'm ready to cut off the last little piece.
It's ready for stain now and I finally decided to get some good light for a picture after the first stain.
Final product (with bad lighting)

Thanks for reading all of this. Now it's time for you to make and post yours!
I'm sure I'll get some tips as to how to do it correctly next time.
Coachnj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:44 am 

Great write up coach! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:23 am 

Very nice Coach! Thanks for the write up, it's very helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:58 am 

Awesome guide! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post pics for all of us. Again, great job! Looking forward to your future projects.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:51 pm 

We should get together some time to make sayas. I like water breaks too.

Good post good job

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:18 am 

Thanks guys. It is always good for the soul to make your own ________ (whatever). I'm looking to do a handle next, I'll post the results when I get to it (even if it's a failure).

Red, sayas and water are always better shared.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:32 am 

Beautiful end result. Might have to show this guide to my father; he's got a man shed of wood working tools and a hankerin' to make nice things. How's the weight and bulk on it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:09 pm 

great job. The write up you did was excellent. It made me think I could do this myself. I like the fact you wrote the "guide" geared towards non-woodworkers.

thanks

El

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next