It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Saya making... for (by) dummies
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 pm 

Really nicely done!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:00 pm 

Beautiful work! Looking forward to your step-by-step. That design with the heel angle is great.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 pm 

Thank you for sharing this. You did a really nice job there.
I've really enjoyed reading this thread and I think I'd like to try making one myself.

If you could be so kind as to post a step by step it would help to give me enough detail to give this a try.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:22 am 

Please make a step-by-step guide!! The saya is very beautiful and looks very resistant, please post pictures too.

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:51 am 

Thanks for all your nice comments all. I'll work on the step-by-step guide this weekend. And here's why... I've gotten so much support and guidance from this forum that I feel the need to give back. Sometimes all we need is a little push to do something that we would never have thought about before. Don't like the handle? Sand it or replace it. Don't think the edges are smoothed enough? Fix it yourself! I feel that if I can create a saya then almost anyone can and I want to push someone that had never thought of it before. It's time to pay it forward as they say.

As far as this saya goes, I bought a two foot piece of alder and cut it in two. Then I hollowed out one side and glued the two pieces together. Then I squared the sides in the shape of the knife and routed the edges. Little stain and done. A couple beers and some luck and it turned out pretty good.

The "holy cow, this guy made it?" guide will follow this weekend. Hopefully I can repeat the feat.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2