It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:10 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sanyo stone vs Imanishi 10K
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

I just received an Imanishi 10K and it seems, from fingertip feel, that this stone is somewhat courser than my Sanyo 6K. Am I crazy or is the Sanyo really a much finer grit than the labeled 6k?

I use a Imanishi 800, Bester 2K, Imanishi 4K, so I am wondering what stone would be most effective after that.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Sanyo stone vs Imanishi 10K
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Richard,

The grits are pretty accurate but the sanyo has a creamy feel that is really enjoyable to use.

The way to tell is to use the stone on a knife and then check it under magnification. If you do this I'm pretty confident that the 10K will leave a finer scratch pattern. Also, I'm not sure if you felt it out of the box or after you've flattened it but some stones have a little residue on the outside that you may be feeling.

Good luck with your progression. The Imanishi stones and the Sanyo are good ones! I learned on about 3-4 stones and the Sanyo was one of them. I still use it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:34 pm 

With waterstones you cannot assess the grit level by a dry feel. In many cases they just all feel the same. It's not until you get them wet and put steel to stone that the true feel and performance comes out.

IMO, the imanishi 10k is one of the best 10k stones you can buy and at an amazing price point. It will easily match or beat the finish and cutting speed of other 10k stones has better feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:36 pm 

I don't have the Sanyo, but I do have the arashiyama 6k, which is reputed to finish considerably higher than 6k and also the imanishi 10k.

I thought similarly when I first got the 10k with just feeling it, but now having used it many times it is not really close, the imanishi leaves a far more refined edge. Both to the naked eye where it leaves a bright clear mirror, and under magnification where the scratch marks are far finer. I'm very happy with my 10k and bet you will be also.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:28 am 
Forum Moderator

Part of the 'finish' that you feel is a result of the way the stone is lapped. For this reason, it is best to determine by the scratch pattern it leaves. After sharpening a couple knives, the texture of a 10 k will improve after the scratches from lapping have gone. You can also texturize the stone surface with a finer diamond plate (eg the 1200 Atoma) or by rubbing it with a stone of comparable grit to eliminate the coarser feel from lapping with a coarser grit plate.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]