It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:07 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Santoku recommendation
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:13 pm 

My wife like the santoku type knife. I would like to get her a really nice handmade Japanese knife. She likes the hammered look but would be more concerned in performance.
I think I have narrowed it down to 3 knives and would like your opinions as to which is a better blade? and the overall knife as a whole.
I have read that #2 blue steel is an excellent choice?
1. Tanaka Damascus Santoku 165mm
2. Moritaka Santoku 170mm KS-170
3. Takeda Banno Funayuki AS 160mm

Post subject: Re: Santoku recommendation
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:35 pm 

i think she should start with a stainless steel knife before she dives into carbon steels.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:58 pm 

She has several German stainless knives now. I am looking for information comparing the knives listed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have a Tanaka Sekiso Damascus 240mm Gyuto and love it. Cuts great, very sharp out of the box, just a great knife; my favorite knife so far! It is not a Kurouchi or hammer finished blade like the other 2 knives. And it's out of stock :(

The Moritaka and Takeda get great reviews and have Blue Super (Aogami Super or AS) steel in their cores, which is a bit better than the Blue #2 of the Tanaka. Both are thin and should cut very well for you.

I would say any of the three choices you list are great! If you want the look of the Damascus, get the Tanaka when it gets back in stock. If you like the black finish (kurouchi finish) of the Moritaka or Takeda, they will have a more handmade/rustic look to them.

IF you are OK with the non hammered look and a Western style handle, there are 2 more to look at:

The Hiromoto AS my mom and aunt have and both love it. It may be a bit heavier than the other 3 since it is a western style handle with a bolster. It uses Aogami Super steel in the core, like the Takeda and Moritaka, but is clad in stainless steel, so you get the edge of carbon steel and the less maintenance of the stainless cladding on most of the blade. The edge will patina and I think it looks pretty cool like that!

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hisakn19.html

Misono Swedish Carbon steel:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/misono2.html

These are a Western style knife with the traditional bolster and handle shape of the european knives.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:55 pm 

Thanks Taz!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:50 pm 

Sakai Takayuki?

It's pretty, hammered texture, thin, and has a nice profile. It's a good little santoku, especially if you want some decoration.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

I think they are Stainless Eamon? AEB-L core though, which is nice!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

The Takeda is an excellent knife and my favorite of the 3 you listed. It's thin, hard, light and you can get it screaming sharp. I love that knife. The Moritaka is similar, less money but it's thicker which is the main reason I prefer the Takeda. The Tanaka is good and the price is good as well but I prefer aogami super to blue #2. The Tanaka grinds are good but they're a little rough around the edges and the handles are kind of average.

Richmond Laser

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]