It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:51 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Running out of knives to sharpen
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am 

I am new to sharpening freehand with stones and I am loving the edges on my knives but after sharpening all of my kitchen and pocket knives (including my parent's), I have run out. Wondering if I can use these stones to help out my serrated knives. Strop the flat side? What about sharpening scissors? Any tips on technique would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Running out of knives to sharpen
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 am 

IMO the majority of serrated knives are made that way because people don't know how to sharpen, so instead they use serrated blades. Obviously there are some applications requiring serrations, but not nearly as many as the number of serrated knives sold. I have had success removing serrations (on some pocket knives) leaving behind a nice edge.

I discovered that scissors can be a completely different beast depending on how they are ground. I have decided to stay away from those. Ask folks at work if you can sharpen their knives, I have has some fun with that. I recently bought some vintage straight razors to sharpen and restore (new project, we will see how it goes), so there is that too . . .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sharpening a serrated knife is difficult on stones and success depends on what type of serrations.

Obviously you can use the stone on the back with some success....but the serrations are where the difficulty is. Using the corner of the stone can get into some serrations. This is not easy though.

Scissors I know can be sharpened on stones. I've only done it a couple of times. The trick is to never remove metal from the edges that come together. You can only sharpen on the bevel face and then just very lightly deburr on the cutting face.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:18 pm 

The only serrated knife I have is a Forschner bread knife but I can feel a roughness on the flat side at the tips of the peaks on the blade. It feels just like a burr so I was wondering about stropping it so those tips would be straighter. I don't think I would take on trying to sharpen individual serrations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

PLUMBER <> Sounds like a candidate for an edge trailing only session on around a 2k w/an appropriate bias to match the current bevels.

And your wife/GF surely has friends that would love their knives sharpened, I'm sure.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]